Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you're about 25 years too late in trying your first Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Kidding.

I grew up about 30 minutes away from Chico, and even lived in Chico for about 7 years after high school. Hearing about someone who hasn't tried Sierra Nevada seems foreign to me.

I can't understand how you'd consider them to be "too commercial" as they've only recently began to advertise their product. They're main emphasis is on quality. If you liked their pale ale there are several others you should try. Celebration and Torpedo are very good if you like IPAs. Summerfest is a good session beer during the summer. I also enjoy both their porter and their stout. Old Chico Crystal Wheat is pretty good too, but I don't think they distribute it outside of Butte County. Their hefeweizen is, meh, ok. There are also several other outstanding beers that they bottle and distribute.

Also, pick up any of their three 30th Anniversary beers if you can still find them in your area. There was a black barleywine, a helles bock, and one other (can't remember at the moment)

All in all I think you should explore them more than just their pale ale. And, if you ever find yourself in Chico, stop by the brewery. There are a hell of a lot more beers on tap there than what they bottle and distribute.

That is very strange, have you been living under a rock?

Not a fan of the "toss a bunch of hops in an otherwise mediocre beer" approach taken by so many american breweries.

I really enjoy their pale ale too. It's one of those beers you kind of take for granted, and pass on it regularly. Then you'll have one, and wow, that is just a good beer.

I just discovered Tumbler this year. I wasn't too keen on it based on what some fellow beer snobs said, then tried it. I really enjoy it. I am only upset because I can't locate any around here.

I really enjoy their pale ale too. It's one of those beers you kind of take for granted, and pass on it regularly. Then you'll have one, and wow, that is just a good beer.

This is what I was trying to get at. I saw it and was like "eh" and moved on. but I tried it and it is pretty decent. :mug:

Ooooh, yeah. Tumbler was awesome when I tried it recently.

I do find them a little overhopped in some of the styles I prefer to let the malt dominate. But always enjoyable. I want to pick up a 12-pack of Celebration when I'm at the store next.

Now go try Sierra Nevada Celebration...

Yes, yes, yes, please do try Celebration and the others listed in this thread. I want you to take your time (say 6 months) to truly savor them and let the appreciation grow. Hopefully this will leave more of the Hoptimum for me when it becomes available!

Wait, what, took you how long to find the SNPA? I think I'm safe! :D

I'm messin' with ya. Yes, Sierra Nevada is doing (and brewing) some good things out in Calif. In fact, if I remember the article from an issue of BYO last year that they have gone all green and actually produce more energy than they use so they sell it to the power grid.

Enjoy your new found barleypop.

Not a fan of the "toss a bunch of hops in an otherwise mediocre beer" approach taken by so many american breweries.

Wah!? But I love hop water!!!

Seriously though, what would make Sierra Nevada mediocre without the hops? Last I checked, beer isn't really beer without the hops. If it's the hops that keep it from being mediocre then it isn't a mediocre beer.

How is the Celebration? I passed on it in the store yesterday because I wasn't sure what it was all about. Got Bellhaven instead because its getting cold out and its my winter beer of choice.

My extract Cincinatti Pale Ale from John Palmer's book tasted (and still does) somewhat similar to it after some good bottle conditioning, perhaps even better...

I tried a home brewed SN from a homebrew shop and the brew tasted very floral. Very unlike what I was expecting knowing what SN tastes like from Chico. You guys think it's just the hops that attributed this flavor? I was hoping to brew this SN recipe but not sure now.

I think their hefeweizen is good for a German style hefeweizen by an American brewery. Most hefe's brewed in America are American, not German. I prefer the esters and phenolics in the German style.

Agreed. I avoided drinking this one for a while until a friend brought it over, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

And yes, to echo everyone else: Go buy the Celebration Ale! It's excellent. Just used one in a stew I made last night.

I drank a Celebration Ale, it was pretty good. I wouldn't pay much more for it than I did, just slightly more than a regular 6er of Pale Ale.

Back