Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - NB vs. AHS vs. Midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I really would like to brew a All Grain Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone. Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew, and Midwest all have a clone kit. Has anyone tried any of these? What did you think? Thanks!

Just brew your own. The recipe posted above is close, but not quite 100% correct. Try this:

6 gallons
75% efficiency
OG: 1.052 (before bottle conditioning, 1.054 after)
FG: 1.011

10.5lbs American 2-row
14oz Crystal 60 (English crystal would be preferred)
Mash at 154*

.5oz Pearle @ 60
.5oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 15
1oz Cascade @ 0
Dry Hop .5-1oz Cascade for 3-5 days

Ferment with California Ale yeast (1056/WLP001 or US05) Make a starter, or just use 1 pack of dry yeast. Ferment at 65-67*

*Note 1: Sierra Nevada bottle conditions their PA. If you bottle condition, great, you'll gain the 2 gravity points needed to hit 5.6% ABV. If you keg, increase your 2-row by 1/2lb to hit an OG of 1.054.

*Note 2: Sierra Nevada uses whole cone hops 100% of the time. If you really want the beer to be exact, get whole cone hops, not pellets. In reality, the difference probably isn't huge though.

That should get you dangerously close. Adjust the amount of 2-row as needed for the efficiency you typically get.

Just brew your own. The recipe posted above is close, but not quite 100% correct. Try this:

6 gallons
75% efficiency
OG: 1.052 (before bottle conditioning, 1.054 after)
FG: 1.011

10.5lbs American 2-row
14oz Crystal 60 (English crystal would be preferred)
Mash at 154*

.5oz Pearle @ 60
.5oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 15
1oz Cascade @ 0
Dry Hop .5-1oz Cascade for 3-5 days

Ferment with California Ale yeast (1056/WLP001 or US05) Make a starter, or just use 1 pack of dry yeast. Ferment at 65-67*

*Note 1: Sierra Nevada bottle conditions their PA. If you bottle condition, great, you'll gain the 2 gravity points needed to hit 5.6% ABV. If you keg, increase your 2-row by 1/2lb to hit an OG of 1.054.

*Note 2: Sierra Nevada uses whole cone hops 100% of the time. If you really want the beer to be exact, get whole cone hops, not pellets. In reality, the difference probably isn't huge though.

That should get you dangerously close. Adjust the amount of 2-row as needed for the efficiency you typically get.

I was reading the ingredients from the Sierra Nevada website. This recipe looks good. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

I just tasted my AHS Pacific Pale Ale side by side with SNPA and found almost no difference. I know it is not a clone but it is very close.

Latest posts

Back