Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

McKBrew

Reaction score
I just bought the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Ale tonight and have downed about half a bottle. IPA is the first thing I thought when I sipped it ,a good amount of hops which I am sure is meant to hide the 9.6% ABV. I can feel that part of it in my stomach right now, a nice warm feeling.

I paid around $12 for a 6-pack of this, and initally it seems well worth it.

Vermicous

Reaction score
If you can find it, try a 2006 Bigfoot and compare the two. It is a great way to see how much hops fade with time.

I tried the 2007 Bigfoot and really did not enjoy it, just too young. I will buy a six-pack to sit on though.

OP
McKBrew

McKBrew

Reaction score
So what you are saying is that I should hang onto a couple of bottles for a bit. Sounds like a plan to me.

grrtt78

Reaction score
i have 12 from the 2006 that i am saving for next christmas and 6 from the 2007 that are still a little rough but they are nice when you get drunk and cant taste as much. :mug: the 2006s are coming along nicely tho

Dude

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
McKBrew said:
So what you are saying is that I should hang onto a couple of bottles for a bit. Sounds like a plan to me.
Yeah, definitely. I started collecting it in 2005, so I have a good 3 year stash now to go back and do vertical tastings with it.

A guy on BB recently tasted a bunch of them from a few years back and made notes. Very interesting how they change.

That is always a great beer to vertical taste because the recipe stays virtually the same from year to year.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I've got a couple bottles from 2006 and still haven't tried the 2007 yet, but I have a six pack. I'm definately hanging on to them for a while. Do a side by side this year and then a vertical tasting of three next year (not all by me of course!). :D

OP
McKBrew

McKBrew

Reaction score
Damn I love this beer. The more I drink, the more I enjoy the hops. I'm hoping I can sneak two or three bottles of this in my household goods when I move, so I can let it age some more. If not, I guess I'll just buy more.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I did a vertical tasting of 07, 06, 05 at my brewclub meeting and I liked the freshest one the best. I thought about laying a 12er or so in, but figured what's the point if I like the fresh ones best.

Reaction score
I was just reading Michael Jackson's Beer Companion and he claims the beer will gain some winyness for up to 3 months after its release and will stay good for 1-2 years. I have a case of 2010 that I squirrelled away last year...guess I should start drinking it.

RC0032

Reaction score
NO!!!! Save this beer for YEARS!!! I like it with 4+ years on it.

eanmcnulty

Reaction score
Well, I have about nine of the 2010 in the basement, and I am going to pick up a sixer or two of the 2011. I guess the aging begins. I'll drink a couple now and save the rest to be had in three to four years. That is awesome!

I have one each of the 30th Anniversary brews also. I was going to pop them open around winter. Think I should give those a few years too? That will be difficult. Might have to find some more of those.