Sierra 30th Anniversary Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Sierra Nevada announced a 30th anniversary series of special beers. The first beer is a rich American stout which is a collaboration of Fritz Maytag of Anchor Brewing and Sierra Nevada's own Ken Grossman. I stopped by the pub on Friday to grab some lunch and had the chance to taste the "Fritz and Ken's Ale" on tap. It is very tasty; super roasty, rich malt profile, but you definitely taste the alcohol at 9.2%. I decided to pick up a couple of bottles for storage and notice they were carrying some nice tulip glasses with the Sierra xXx logo on them and grabbed a couple of those too. Cheers!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/56761
http://www.sierra30.com/#/fritz-and-ken-s-ale

IMG_3181.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

my retarded ass allied rep hasn't told me anything about this beer. did you find it in a store? I know you live in the same town as them, but come on, this brewery has "almost" world wide distro....can't they show SOCAL some love?!

Those beers and glasses look very classy. Also on their site they have "Charlie, Fred, and Ken's Lager" which was partially brewed by Charlie Papazian. Pretty sweet!

my retarded ass allied rep hasn't told me anything about this beer. did you find it in a store? I know you live in the same town as them, but come on, this brewery has "almost" world wide distro....can't they show SOCAL some love?!

LOL, not sure about distro on this one. I know it's a limited release, but they're bottling it so I would assume all the places that get seasonal brews would have a crack at a few cases. I bought these at the brewery gift shop, so I have no idea if any other stores in town carry them.

Oh, and I agree...those glasses are cool! Total impulse buy when I was at the gift shop but I'm glad I picked a couple up.

I think I'm going to make a trip up there to snag a few of these. Do you care to share what they're asking for those glasses? I need to prepare for how much damage I'm going to do to my wallet.

I saw it at Safeway in Chico for 9.99 a bottle and at the Mangrove Bottle Shop for 7.99. Guess which I bought?

Might have to swipe a couple of those glasses too!

Yep, the glasses are $6.99 at the gift shop, and the beer is $8.99/bottle. Mangrove and Ray's Liquor have it for $7.99/bottle.

Just got word that S&S Produce on Mangrove Ave. has it for $6.99 a bottle. At that price, I'm going to have to grab a few more!

I just read a Tweet on my Twitter (and before we go any further, I would like to defend myself and say that this is the only reason I have a Twitter account, to find out what new beers they have in at this store) and we've got it here in Durham. Anyone had a chance to try this and have any feedback?

Cool article from a local paper about Sierra's 30th:

http://www.newsreview.com/chico/content?oid=1388487

The final release will be an in-house, oak-aged, brewer’s reserve ale, and will feature a blend of oak-aged barrels of Sierra Nevada’s signature brews—Pale Ale, Celebration Ale and Bigfoot barleywine.

“We’ll sit down with various [oak-aged] batches,” said Grossman. “Like scotches are blended, we’ll try different blends.”

While plans for official festivities are still in the works, Grossman said that for the Nov. 15 anniversary date, the brewery will be promoting a nationwide toast.

I don't know what it means, but I'll drink to that...

Saw these at Safeway today for $9.99 a bottle, I think. No cool glasses, though. Didn't pull the trigger cause cause I've been trying not to buy commercial beer (deal with SWMBO - more homebrewing=less $ on commercial beer), but I might have to sneak one or two, throw them deep in the closet and "rediscover" them in a year or so...

we've got it here in central ohio. picked up one to drink and one to age. 9.99 a bottle.

Man I miss Chico! I havent been back home because of my line of work for 8 years now... Got me stuck up here in Virginia right now :(

Picked up 3 today at Bevmo in Sacramento, Ca. They were only able to get 2 cases. Unknown if they will be getting more due to the limited release.

Saw these at Safeway today for $9.99 a bottle, I think. No cool glasses, though. Didn't pull the trigger cause cause I've been trying not to buy commercial beer (deal with SWMBO - more homebrewing=less $ on commercial beer), but I might have to sneak one or two, throw them deep in the closet and "rediscover" them in a year or so...

Since I started brewing the special releases are the only commercials I drink. I rationalize it some way...

Picked this up today $9.99. A little yeasty but that may be because I did not transport it well from the store. Very nice otherwise.

It is a fine beer indeed. I was just at a tasting at the local beer store. And the guy in there knows me pretty well. I talked about how I just can't afford to spend 10.50 on a beer. He said he was going to pop one open tonight. As I paid for some brews and was getting ready to leave, the guy told me to get my tasting glass. I did, and he opened the 30th anniversary in a corner and let me taste it. Damn was it not awesome. The beer and the fact that he opened his own beer to let me taste it

The beer was bitterness up front followed by a smooth takeover by a smokey flavor. Lingers a while but the mouthfeel is just straight velvet. SMOOTH and Rich. Damn good beer and damn good dude too.:mug:

I agree with everything you said beerjunky. Its freaking awesome! I am not a stout guy but this beer has definitley opened my eyes to the darker more intense and robust brews. Looks like I have some tasting to do in the next few weeks. I get on kicks and spend weeks at a time on a particular style just so I can sya thet I have had this or that. I can't wait.

Apparently we are getting this in very expensive 6 packs, which I thought was strange.

Edit: Nope. Got 2 cases of 750s in.

Just had some of this on draft at Enoteca here in North Idaho. All I can say is pretty freaking awesome. I bought 4 bottles for aging.

I told so many friends and family to be on the look out for them I managed to get five bottles! I have had two. Saving a couple for next year.

I picked up a bottle last night. After reading this I wonder if I shouldn't have gotten a few more. Oh well...I plan to crack this one tonight while brewing. :ban:

i wish i was able to found them in new york area. I dont even know what to start looking

Good luck, I hope you can find some. I had some on Tap at Sierra Nevada last night, Freakin' Awesome. I just wish I had been able to get a few bottles before it all ran out.:mug:

Been sitting on a bottle of this in my keezer for about a month. After seeing this thread earlier at work (and realizing all my homebrew is conditioning/lagering/bottled for our next meeting) I decided to crack it open and I grilled up a ribeye I've been marinating since Monday. This is one damn fine stout. Buy a bottle and save it for as long as possible then drink the hell out of it.

Reminds me of the reprobate stout I made last winter but tastier.

Had one at the brew clubs last social a couple weeks ago. Real tasty, a little alcohol taste as expected at that abv, but very nicely done.

I wonder why they haven't called me yet to do a brew with them?

Back