Side shoots a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the three Cs doing well here in west central Florida, third year. My Cascade hit the roof (about 12 feet) and now is starting to produce side shoots. Should I prune these?
I have been successful starting plants from cuttings, if anyone is near Tarpon Springs, I have extras.
sided shoots.jpg

Do not cut those! Unless you want no cones. Eventually you’ll see small “spurs” those will become cones.
extra bines coming from the ground can and should be cut so the plant puts its energy into producing cones.

Do not cut those! Unless you want no cones. Eventually you’ll see small “spurs” those will become cones.
extra bines coming from the ground can and should be cut so the plant puts its energy into producing cones.

If you clip the shoots coming from the ground, would it be advantageous (or even possible) to create new plants from them?

If you clip the shoots coming from the ground, would it be advantageous (or even possible) to create new plants from them?
Yes, you could root them to have more plants. Some growers let them run along the ground and they will root that way as well, (You can cover about every 6 - 8 inches with a little soil too) with probably a better success rate.

I have started several plants with cuttings. I find that dipping them in root growth hormone helps a lot. They take quite a while to establish, growing very slowly the first year. Establishing their roots I suspect.

Back