Side by Side Keezer/Ferm Chamber Build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointcity-homebrew

Crafting openers 1 at a time
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Kenmore side by side, replaced the overload relay and got the fridge running.

I drew my inspiration from a thread that was active a few years back. Since I have not seen many side by side builds , I decided to chronicle my journey.

I am a huge DIY kinda guy, I do not like spending a lot of money on something that I know I can build. With 3d printers and laser cutters at my disposal, I should be able to complete this build rather inexpensive. I will keep a tally on cost.

The first thing I did was gutted the fridge to remover everything that I do not want/need. That meant removing the shelving on the doors and cutting the foam back to maximize space.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473426625.353136.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473427084.880398.jpg

The fridge works by allowing cold air from the freezer side to enter via a vent that would be mechanically opened or close depending on the setting. I am going to use a 12VDC brushless fan controlled by a STC-1000 to pull the cold air into the chamber when needed.

I designed a "cold air transfer housing" and am currently 3D printing the parts. Below you can see the design.

The fan will be mounted to the square end of this piece. The round end will go into the hole I made where the old vent was.

Cold_Air_Housing_1.jpg

This piece will fit over the fan and enclose it, there will be a baffle that will open when the fan is running. Hopefully this will help keep any stray air from wandering over.

Cold_Air_Housing_2.jpg

This piece will go on the freezer side to dress up the hole that I made.

Cold_Air_Housing_3.jpg

Here is the cold air transfer housing, minus the baffle.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473428052.346140.jpg

I will add more images once my dropbox gets synced.

Cost tally-

$19.99- replacement overload relay.
$0.00- Cold air transfer housing.
$0.00- DC fan.
$21.00 - 2 STC-1000

Stay Tuned.

Cold air transfer housing is installed and working like a champ.

STC-1000s are in. I was hoping they would be flashable, but no go.

I decided that I did not want to rely on a piece of paper with the C to F conversions on it, so I decided to design and print a bezel. See design below.

Edit- Updated render added

I was buying parts for my keggle build while designing the bezel, mixed up keezer and keggle.

Updated_bezel.jpg

I am putting this 3D printer to work.

Designed a drip tray that will be printing over the weekend.

drip_pan.jpg

Also printed some flanges for my tap shanks, I could of painted the original ones, but there is no fun in that

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474550754.562023.jpg

Here is a pic of the bezel fitted on the door
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474550806.570941.jpg

Door have been trimmed and aluminum sheeting installed. I put the gaskets on yesterday and checked for a good seal.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474550858.227917.jpg

Here is the cold air transfer system I place

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474550884.191002.jpg

Freezer side

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474550897.698017.jpg

Today I will be applying bondo to the dings and dents, hope to paint tomorrow.

I decided to go Red Sox theme, I have always been a huge fan. Once I starting printing in red, it just made sense.

Cost tally thus far:

Fridge parts- $19.99
STC-1000- $21.00
Bondo- $8.00
Shanks- $20.00
Faucets- $59.99

Everything else has either been printed or already on hand.

Yeah, I have a keezer, too. Just wondering about the spelling. Keezer vs Kezzer.

What are you going to fill the hole on the freezer door with? I'm thinking of eventually switching from my keezer to a converted an upright instead. Love the idea of the 2-in-1, though. Have you figured out how many kegs/carboys will fit?

And what printer do you have?

(edited)

Yeah, I have a keezer, too. Just wondering about the spelling. Keezer vs Kezzer.

You know, now that I think about it. I was buying a keggle conversion kit while designing the bezel. Confused the spelling.

Got it right in the subject at least.

Thanks for pointing that out, it is only a 18 hour print.

What are you going to fill the hole on the freezer door with? I'm thinking of eventually switching from my keezer to a converted an upright instead. Love the idea of the 2-in-1, though. Have you figured out how many kegs/carboys will fit?

(edited)

I have access to a Stratasys, Idea series, and a Ultimaker 2+.

I have been using the Ultimaker for this build.

I an going to use two sheets of wood and insulate with foam sheeting. One sheet in the back against the aluminium and the other to cover the hole, then I have nice thermal foam that will be sandwiched in between.

I will be fermenting no more than 2 at a time, so I am confident that I can make those fit on the fridge side.

Looking back at another design similar to this one, it looks like they could fit 4 corny kegs.

Back