Side by side fridge for simultaneous chilling AND fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tronnyjenkins

Reaction score
I have my beer in the fridge section currently, but I am thinking about trying something- keeping the keg on tap in the freezer section, and fiddling with the thermostat on the fridge to get the temps about where I want them. I have a Johnson Controls A419 that I was planning on using for the freezer side. My reasoning behind this is that while the temperature of a fermentation needs to be more exact, I don't want to freeze the beer in the keg... Thoughts anyone?

There was a recent post about this where a guy had keezer on the left side and ferm chamber on the right. Looked pretty simple and it worked out for him, so I say go for it!

There are a few folks here that have that setup. Mine has two ebay aquarium controllers. One is in place of the stock thermostat and the other controls a fan between the freezer and fridge.

The hole between the two sides on my build is pretty small, so I can't get the fridge side down to crash-cool temps. It will hit the low 60s in a 100* garage though.

You definately need dual temp controllers. One to control the freezer function and the second to push/pull the cold air into the refrigerator side. Check out the link in my signature for my build, I am able to cold crash and both sides or raise the temp in the refrigerator side for fermenting ales.

You definately need dual temp controllers. One to control the freezer function and the second to push/pull the cold air into the refrigerator side. Check out the link in my signature for my build, I am able to cold crash and both sides or raise the temp in the refrigerator side for fermenting ales.

It must be the larger hole you have. I just screwed a fan over the existing hole. I might enlarge mine and see if it makes a difference.

Back