Sick of Worm Clamps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I hate those things. They're fine for semi-permanent connections, but when it comes to using them for siphoning, it's kind of a pain.

I have found one thing though that helps, and I had a little idea that might also be good.

First off, if the connection is solid, but just not quite air-tight, a little electrical tape does the trick. Or, I actually use silicone tape. It's just a little strip of silicone that adheres to itself without any adhesive. Neat stuff.

The other thing I've been wondering about is something like this:

5324kp1l.png

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=jmwsom

If they had a little extended plastic doohickey on the end so you could use them without pliers, those would be perfect... I hate needing a screwdriver on beer days.

I feel ya. Worm clamps do suck. Using a socket driver instead of a screwdriver dulls the pain a little though.

brass ferrules for semi permanent doing for my gas lines c02 , o2.
for water the little duel/crimp or single crimp on steel clamps/ferrules
Mcmaster carr has them.

I have used those before, didn't find them to be much less fiddly than worm clamps...

That's odd. All you have to do is twist and they unclamp. And you can clamp with one hand. With worm clamps, you need a nut driver, screwdriver or equivalent to clamp and unclamp. I find them much, much easier to use.

That's odd. All you have to do is twist and they unclamp. And you can clamp with one hand. With worm clamps, you need a nut driver, screwdriver or equivalent to clamp and unclamp. I find them much, much easier to use.

I'm going to rethink these. I used to use them a lot on my water-cooled computer. But I always had trouble getting them tight enough. Like I edited in my post above though, I'm going to rethink it. It looks like they should work well... I've just not found them to be very dependable... but then, that's in the tight working space of a computer case. Out in a brewing environment, it may be less annoying.

I imagine the fit of tubing to barb - as well as the pliability of the tubing - would play a role as to how leak-tight a connection might prove to be. A loose fit with a hard tubing material might push the limits of a plastic doohicky...

Cheers!

scottland said:
Zip ties also do a good job is the connection is already pretty solid

I use cheapo zip ties on all my silicone from keggle to pump to plate chiller. No leaks, just tighten with a second tug after the hot wort has softened the silicone a little.

Back