Sick hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRBC

Reaction score
One of my cascade bines is sick, but I don't know what it is is. Hoping a more experienced grower can give me some ideas of what it is & if there is anything I can do about it. The yellow/brown vine gets the most sun, but I am wondering if it is powdery mildew. There is some super-fine cobweb like stuff on the back of the leaf. It is really hard to see - you really have to look for it. Any thoughts?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439149716.288311.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439149729.890420.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439149741.897552.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439149757.640384.jpg

is that the wet end of the "garden"? Looks like over watering. The other plants look great

Good question. I think they have all gotten about the same amount of water.

[...]There is some super-fine cobweb like stuff on the back of the leaf. It is really hard to see - you really have to look for it. Any thoughts?

Spider mites...

[edit] I think you have two things going on: over-watering (that plant is like right next to that down-spout) and spider mites. That last leaf looks like mite damage, the one just before it looks like over-watering...

Spider mites...

[edit] I think you have two things going on: over-watering (that plant is like right next to that down-spout) and spider mites. That last leaf looks like mite damage, the one just before it looks like over-watering...

Thanks. Could be that the plastic drain pipe that downspout runs into is saturating that side of the plant. The second string (from the left) has bines from the same cascade crown and they don't have the same issues. Could it be that localized?

The last two pics are the front & back of the same leaf (the leaf that is centered in the 2nd pic).

I'd worry about the spider mites first - they can decimate the plant right when it's bearing cones.
Been there, saw that, li'l bastids can be relentless if you don't nail their a$$es quick.

But, sure, depending on drainage, etc, that particular plant is like within a foot or so of the downspout, so if you've been having frequent rain, and you've been watering all of the plants on some kind of schedule, that plant is the one that could get soggy.

Or...all of that is due to the mites. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me...

Cheers!

Back