Sicilianos homebrew competition/homebrew party.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gone the past several years, but last time I brought my wife and I felt like an outsider looking in.

I queried the guys from my HB club and one agreed it was a great time, but nobody jumped in so I didn't get tickets this year.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome event, but I didn't enter the comp this year and we're pretty busy so far so I decided to see what else may be going on.

Also, I don't mind Jimmy Stagger, but it's not my kind of music and he's pretty loud when you are trying to talk to each other about your brewing escapades.

I need more friends who drink craft beer. It's hard for me to go to something like this by myself. I'm not an outwardly social person.

I think next year I'll try to get my club to attend. Maybe bring a jockey box or kegerator.

I think I may have seen you there last year but I am also not a huge conversation starter with people I do not know. Considering I also live on the east side of the state everyone there was a complete stranger. Entered the competition this year but will not be able to attend the party, I was hoping someone would be able to peek on my score.

Ostensibly one should be able to simply walk up to another, introduce themselves, and start a conversation. This would seem especially easily when a group of people are gathered around a specific hobby such as homebrewing. I try to do that now and again, and it's usually successful. But I'm pretty shy at heart and when people are gathered in various groups within groups, it can make me feel awkward and unwanted. Add a few drinks into the equation and the knowledge that I've put my foot in my mouth many times when drinking (or not drinking) and I'm not likely to venture outside my comfort zone.

It's much easier with friends nearby. It's difficult with my wife because she isn't a beer drinker and while she supports my hobby, isn't that knowledgeable about brewing. So she doesn't have much to talk about at a party like this. Therefore it's not much help for my anxiety.

Eh, I probably should have gotten tickets and just went. In spite of the lack of companionship, I probably know at least a few people there and I shouldn't feel uncomfortable around other homebrewers. Actually, I probably should have brewed a beer for the comp. Seems each year I manage to not have a worthy entry ready in time.

I'll probably know a few people going so if you want to PM me your name I can try to find someone who's going and see if they can procure your score for you.

Sorry I missed the post, guess i will have to wait and see what comes in the snail mail. Thanks for the gesture Homercidal I appreciate it.:D

Ostensibly one should be able to simply walk up to another, introduce themselves, and start a conversation. This would seem especially easily when a group of people are gathered around a specific hobby such as homebrewing. I try to do that now and again, and it's usually successful. But I'm pretty shy at heart and when people are gathered in various groups within groups, it can make me feel awkward and unwanted. Add a few drinks into the equation and the knowledge that I've put my foot in my mouth many times when drinking (or not drinking) and I'm not likely to venture outside my comfort zone.

It's much easier with friends nearby. It's difficult with my wife because she isn't a beer drinker and while she supports my hobby, isn't that knowledgeable about brewing. So she doesn't have much to talk about at a party like this. Therefore it's not much help for my anxiety.

Eh, I probably should have gotten tickets and just went. In spite of the lack of companionship, I probably know at least a few people there and I shouldn't feel uncomfortable around other homebrewers. Actually, I probably should have brewed a beer for the comp. Seems each year I manage to not have a worthy entry ready in time.

I'll probably know a few people going so if you want to PM me your name I can try to find someone who's going and see if they can procure your score for you.

I will be camping at the Michigan Home brew Festival again this year, so if you make it out it would be nice to meet in person. Also, I took a bronze medal for my Belgian golden strong at sicilianos comp. Pretty nice haul considering it had a few flaws and it was a new recipe I put together.

Where is the Michigan Homebrew Festival?

Bronze is pretty decent, considering. I think the standards have risen over the years. Seems more difficult to medal the past several years. The number of entries has definitely increased.

Groveland Oaks campground in Holly. Awesome three day event!

Back