show your age with a picture of a toy from your childhood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1615343485343.png

Whoa. Flashback to the more serious '60s military-ish tv series. Along with "Combat". Saw every episode of both.
For balance, towards the end of that decade, there was "F Troop" and "Hogan's Heroes"...

Cheers! :D ["It is BALLOON!" is still in my lexicon]

^ average family sizes were larger than :)

Ours was too. Not to mention all the neighborhood kids who came around to our yard, attracted by the specter of throwing around weighted missiles with sharp points. We didn't use the ring thingy much. Instead, we took turns trying to throw them as close to the opponent's feet as possible, without actually impaling anything vital. Surprisingly, no one was hurt, either due to the thrower's accuracy, or (more likely), the ability of the other kid to quickly move away from the point of impact.

Can't understand why they banned those things years later. o_O

Ours was too. Not to mention all the neighborhood kids who came around to our yard, attracted by the specter of throwing around weighted missiles with sharp points. We didn't use the ring thingy much. Instead, we took turns trying to throw them as close to the opponent's feet as possible, without actually impaling anything vital. Surprisingly, no one was hurt, either due to the thrower's accuracy, or (more likely), the ability of the other kid to quickly move away from the point of impact.

Can't understand why they banned those things years later. o_O

the ones too scared to play probably got fat, and lost toes to diabetes anyway.....

Wrt "lawn darts" and other pointy implements of potential destruction...we didn't need "toys" to commit random mayhem. I was around 10 when I got whacked right in the top of the skull by a next-door neighbor kid wielding a board with a huge nail through one end. Gushed like all hell, got carted to the doctor, but my skull was apparently thick enough to limit the damage to a long deep gouge, so I got a bunch of stitches and a tetanus shot out of the deal :D

Cheers!

Wrt "lawn darts" and other pointy implements of potential destruction...we didn't need "toys" to commit random mayhem. I was around 10 when I got whacked right in the top of the skull by a next-door neighbor kid wielding a board with a huge nail through one end. Gushed like all hell, got carted to the doctor, but my skull was apparently thick enough to limit the damage to a long deep gouge, so I got a bunch of stitches and a tetanus shot out of the deal :D

Cheers!

must be why you have a fancy nitro tap to pour your beer flat! ;) :mug: lol

ahhh, 18 years old! mom was a sweety!

1677525870856.png

funny thing it didn't ferment which i why i went straight to all-grain.... and also...

1677525965746.png

and now the kids are playing with "3-rollers"! ;)

I think I was 8 when I got this for Christmas and it was my favorite toy for a few years. The fan-powered "space ship" was balanced against a counterweight at the other end of the metal rod and pivoted atop the central mast. You controlled engine speed and thrust angle to "lift off", "orbit", "de-orbit" and "land", and it came with fold-up "planetary" matt with landing sites, etc. Coolest toy ever for me back then :)

1677528016796.png

Cheers!

More like weekends in high school but who's counting.

View attachment 725046
There was a company making and selling those for homebrewers years back. In the 90’s? I think the company was called Medicine Rock or something like that. No longer in business.

[edit] I found an old ad in a BYO magazine from 2000

61914B6C-6B21-4043-9E90-14D46DFD0548.jpeg

Last edited:
Back