SHOW OFF: Basement Brewery cleaning sinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey thats a britchen setup! Nice. I need a britchen setup in my next house.
Here are a few more of my galley-style basement britchen. Cooktop has 2 large elements, 3000w and 3200w. I have been using the 3000w and it works great on high setting when the 20-quart brew pot is filled with 4 gallons of wort at the start of the boil.Lots of cabinets and drawers to store brewing equipment and supplies. And a walk-in pantry for even more. It's used exclusively for brewing and serving beer. The wife has her own "kitchen" all to herself and now we are both happy! [emoji481]View attachment 652278View attachment 652281View attachment 652282View attachment 652283

I had to build out a wall against the concrete so I could attach the sink. I think it came out nice. no plans to finish the wall. I do like having space immediately behind the sink to store things like soap, sponges, tools, etc. I also like the rack immediately above that I can hang hoses from. I need to install some sort of drying rack or counter to the left of the sink still.

I should add: I do not brew in this space. i brew on my back porch using water from the hose bib (potable water hose, of course). I installed this sink mostly to clean fermenters and other brewing apparatus without messing with the kitchen sink (and my wife pestering me to get my stuff out of the kitchen).

The plumbing immediately above the sink is the main water in and sewer out for the house - my brew sink is in basically unfinished utility area in my basement.
finished.jpg

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I had to build out a wall against the concrete so I could attach the sink. I think it came out nice. no plans to finish the wall. I do like having space immediately behind the sink to store things like soap, sponges, tools, etc. I also like the rack immediately above that I can hang hoses from. I need to install some sort of drying rack or counter to the left of the sink still.

I should add: I do not brew in this space. i brew on my back porch using water from the hose bib (potable water hose, of course). I installed this sink mostly to clean fermenters and other brewing apparatus without messing with the kitchen sink (and my wife pestering me to get my stuff out of the kitchen).

The plumbing immediately above the sink is the main water in and sewer out for the house - my brew sink is in basically unfinished utility area in my basement.
View attachment 656016
Do you recall where you got that sink and faucet? I'm looking for something similar

Do you recall where you got that sink and faucet? I'm looking for something similar
amazon.

sink: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M87C7WM, although I paid $250 for it.
faucet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BXCZVQ. If I had to do it over, I'd get one with a shorter spout. When I put a carboy in the sink, the spout is too long to be able to properly fill.

Here is the blog post (that no one reads - ha!) on my sink install: http://makeitstout.com/brewing-sink/

Holy S$@T! Thanks for sharing! If you don’t mind, I’m going to save these pictures. The next time swmbo thinks I’m going overboard or taking “this hobby thing a bit far”, I’m going to show her “exhibit A”! You have set the bar high dude! Nice!

+1 that is frigging amazing!

I mean, it's just so cool and intimidating AF at the same time :D
And that shot doesn't do justice to the BruControl system at all. Gotta work on that ;)

Cheers! (BSG - where bags of grain reign! Seriously, if you can score an account or hook up with someone that has, beer costs drop bigly :))

And that shot doesn't do justice to the BruControl system at all. Gotta work on that ;)
These better?
ii0n7If.png

pMI5VnS.png

6oHcmoh.png

FEF1h2C.png

Cheers! (BSG - where bags of grain reign! Seriously, if you can score an account or hook up with someone that has, beer costs drop bigly :))
Or sponsored by them.

Sorry for the derail.

Last edited:
It won't be here until Monday, but I just purchased this large poly sink for my build.
61QcZXsJ6vL._SL1500_.jpg

I had a stainless steel commercial unit with two 24x24x14 inch tubs and a 24" drainboard on order, but I'm canceling it since it was back-ordered until mid-September.
n170161.jpg

It was almost four times the cost of this simple plastic tub sink, so I think I'll try out the tub-sink first. I need a utility sink for my wife's hydroponics space anyway, so if this doesn't work for me I can shift this over get the stainless one in the future.

To mount on the tub-sink, I've ordered one of the commercial-kitchen sink faucets and ordered a longer pre-rinse hose.
61ZSvoYK%2BHL._SL1300_.jpg
I'll post some pics of it all when it gets in this coming week.
Love to see where you purchased this as well as the cost. Thanks.

Here are a few more of my galley-style basement britchen. Cooktop has 2 large elements, 3000w and 3200w. I have been using the 3000w and it works great on high setting when the 20-quart brew pot is filled with 4 gallons of wort at the start of the boil.Lots of cabinets and drawers to store brewing equipment and supplies. And a walk-in pantry for even more. It's used exclusively for brewing and serving beer. The wife has her own "kitchen" all to herself and now we are both happy! [emoji481]View attachment 652278View attachment 652281View attachment 652282View attachment 652283
Dude... that’s beautiful. A whole separate kitchen for brewing. Suweet. I have a bar sink downstairs and brewed there twice. Then I got kicked to the laundry room sink cause the wife said it smelled like I was washing a horse.

View attachment 683050probably brewed 60 gal of beer next to this sink. Should have cleaned up before taking a pic, but you guys are friends, not company. Washer/dryer stack unit is just out of frame on the left.

Awesome pictures everyone! What is a good height for the pull down faucets? 25" 36"? I have seen a lot of different sizes on here and I'm sure each has its drawbacks.

Cheers

I have a commercial-style sprayer that is on the short-side. If I had do-over, I would get the tall one. There isn't a lot of flex in this one.

It was in my garage but it is the same concept. I sold the house but kept the sink

Attachments

• A5EDD18A-BF28-46DD-AA7A-E7B4C09B43DE.jpeg
    A5EDD18A-BF28-46DD-AA7A-E7B4C09B43DE.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 76
This was a great thread to read thru! I’m looking to install. Sink in my garage where I have a water heater but no access to water or sewage, so I plan to have a plumber do it.
So what’s your experience - do I need a garbage disposal to clear the hop and trub debris? Or is a basic drain out good enough?

do I need a garbage disposal to clear the hop and trub debris? Or is a basic drain out good enough?
Most of the hops from my kettle go out (yard debris/municipal composting) with the spent grains. But more than a little grain and hops go down my drain with no disposal.

fwiw, I wouldn't stuff a lot of whole hops down the drain even with a disposal.

Back