Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SIB57: ghetto indeed....but still way cool. As long as it does what you need it to do

yeah, this is def what i'm havin' in mind....looks cool

Sorry to have lagged getting back on this thread.

I don't have any other pictures here at work and the home computer is a bit under the weather right now. I'll be sure to post some more later. The idea for the rig actually came from photos of Scubasteve's from HBT. There are a couple of images of a recent brewday here.

The insulation doesn't have any problems with scorching b/c there is no burner under that container (the MLT). It has a bit of a non-standard layout, the middle kettle is the HLT with the MLT on the right and the boil kettle on the left. Doesn't really matter where they are when you are pumping your liquids everywhere!

It took quite a while to get everything together and built up and I learned a lot along the way, if anyone wants more info or a simple diagram let me know.

Cheers

Here is my single tier all electric stand.
stand.jpg

Still need to mount the water filter and shorten the hoses.

Mike

Question for ya: Whats the small red and white cooler for? And what is the small SS bucket thing on the right end of the stand for?

The SS canister is my hop-back. There are more pictures of under the Hopback 101 thread. The red cooler is my heat exchanger for my HERMS. I did not want to have my heat exchanger inside my HLT so instead I put a 1500 watt element inside a 2 gallon cooler. I also have inside there a coil of 1/2 copper. This allows me to adjust the mash temperature or just have it set to maintain a specific temperature. I can preheat the cooler and it is able to raise the temperature pretty fast.

Any more questions please ask.

Mike

love to see the details (guts) on that!!

Here you go!

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

The tee you can see(in the first picture I posted) has a thermocouple on the top that extends 6" down. The wort is pumped through the coil comes out and hits the thermocouple before entering back into the MLT. If the temperature is at or greater than the set point (love TS controller) the element turns off but the wort continues to recirculate the entire time. this sets the grain bed for me and allows me to have crystal clear wort head to the boil kettle. I have done 4 or 5 brews on this since I finished it and I love it.

Hey, thanks... Yeah, it folds up nicely for storage, but mostly so I can take it over to my buddy's house to brew. I only wish I could've figured out a way to integrate a burner stand. Oh well. One of these days I'll get around to extending the legs on that cajun cooker so I don't need the bricks.

If you insist I suppose I will toot my own horn a bit...

Mash tun:
IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Water filtration and distribution:
IMG_0963.jpg

HLT temp controller:
IMG_0950.jpg

well, i think i'm gonna go ahead and get started getting materials for the build. Anyone care to suggest what kind of lumber to get? What's the deal with treated wood? any recommendations...?

well, i think i'm gonna go ahead and get started getting materials for the build. Anyone care to suggest what kind of lumber to get? What's the deal with treated wood? any recommendations...?

Treated lumber will last longer and be more resistant to decay/mold growth from getting wet (you may want that flexibility). But regular white lumber is OK too. If you need any wood for flat surfaces (plywood), I would recommend the most cost effective wood to be Advantech (or similar) subflooring. It's like a thick OSB infused with wax, so while it's not as resistant to decay as treated lumber, it's fine for these purposes and is a lot cheaper than the same thickness of treated plywood.

For obaining this wood, you might hit up construction sites on houses being framed. You could probably find all your lumber in the dumpster (with permission from the builder of course), but for a few odds and ends.

Anyone care to suggest what kind of lumber to get? What's the deal with treated wood? any recommendations...?

It really depends on what you are going for and how much you want to spend. If you do not want to spend a lot, do not have woodworking experience, and just want to put this thing outside and forget about it, I think treated lumber and the materials mentioned above would be perfect. However, if you are going for something that looks good and is functional (think fermoire vs. son of a fermentation chiller) I would build your stand out of white oak and use a proper sealant. White oak is extremely rot resistant and looks fantastic, IMHO. That is what I will be using. For the framing, I will likely just use construction grade pine because it is cheap, and my stand will be indoors.

If it is going to be outside, a wood like cedar might be a good idea since it stands up to the elements so well.

If its going to be living inside other than on brew days, pine would be my suggestion. The reason I am not throwing oak or maple out there is because odds are you are going to spill wort and other crap all over the place, especially the first few times you use the new rig and are getting used to the various nuances of it. With metal stands, you could just spray it off or wipe it up, but wood will probably soak a little of it up each time and maybe even stain after a while. If thats going to happen, you probably want it to happen with pine and not oak.

That said, oak or maple would look VERY nice especially with some stain and the right hardware....I hope I didn't contradict myself so much that the information is confusing.

So I'm working with three 15.5 G Sanke's. I want to go electric on the HLT and then wrap the HLT & MT with reflectix, and then maybe Rhino line them like WortMonger did. I don't want to deal with a pump and want to keep this as simple as I can so I need to have gravity on my side.

Could I not make a 3-tier gravity brew tree out of a 4x4 or some layered 2x4's and then anchor the keg's to the stand using bolts?

According to this the weight of a full keg is 165 lbs, (of course that depends on what it's filled with.)

What are your thoughts on the strenghth and stability of this set-up?

I built this one using the cheapest lumber I could find which was 1x3 & 1x4 firring strip material. The shelves are 1/4" plywood. The whole tower weighs less than 50 lbs, yet it's strong and stable enough to stand on the top platform. I can transport it on the roof rack of my SUV. Several coats of house paint and it's water resistant so it can be hosed down for clean up.

3387073785_15a31f2d37_b.jpg

3387073293_66d453dd6c_b.jpg

3387884926_d5f7a43862_b.jpg

3464505950_46ed073611_b.jpg

Fellow homebrewer Littlehop has a fantastic wooden brew stand.
I stumbled upon it in the random photos on the home page.
You should all have a look, and encourage him to post details.

Here's mine before I rebuilt the electronics yet again:
IMG_1916.JPG

Mash tun goes on top "shelf." I have since added a RIMS. I need to take some new pictures.

woodrig.jpg

My march pump is underneath the MLT, on bottom side of rig to protect from water.

I have rig is on wheels to easily move from garage to back yard where i brew.

all vessels are fitted with male QD's, I have 2 hoses with female QD's, 1 short hose shown that is fitted with a QD and a CPVC pipe that is used for flysparging. The MLT lid has a hole drilled in top that i fill with a gum stopper during mash.

I have a CFC that also has a QD attached to it.

It was made with 1 inch square stock. My brewery name was cut with a computerize plasma cutter.

It getting it's first use tomorrow if it every stops raining.

brew rig 006.jpg

brew rig 001.jpg

brew rig 005.jpg

Simple ten gallon electric heatstick basement brewery. 44 and 60 quart kettles not shown. Stand was
a wooden bunk bed that was cut up and repurposed into a brew stand. Window fan keeps humidity in
check during brewing, I do run the fan for a couple hours after the boil to air out the basement.Skateboard
aids in wheeling heavy kettles and kegs about the brewery.

HPIM0599.jpg

HPIM0600.jpg

and the product, house ale at high kreusen
HPIM0597.jpg

summer wheat, the coriander and orange smells tremendous
HPIM0598.jpg

I can spend all day looking at this thread! If only I wasn't a semi-transient poor as ramen every day college student, I'd totally build one of these things. It's going to be a 3-tier system, because nothing wakes you up in the morning more than having an unsecured HLT with up to 5 gallons of almost boiling hot water less than a couple feet away from my face.

Not trying to thread jack, but do you just ferment in SS pots?

Yep, same pot as the boil, chill mid to low sixties and pitch plenty of yeast, once fermentation peaks, wrap and seal the top of the kettle w/ plastic and a string to seal it up tight. Usually w/in 10 -14 days, I crash cool and have racked it to a keg and purged w/ Co2 to let it finish for another couple weeks.

Call me crazy, lazy, or both. But it works well for low to moderate gravity ales that ferment out rather quick. I took the pics just for kicks, The following morning, I sealed up the pots and will not touch them until I rack to kegs.

Back