Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made it. Home depot only sells 50' or 60'. The 50' is $50.00. The 60' is $100.00!
I wanted at least 60' so I bought 2 50's and spliced them together with a compression fitting to make a 75'.

I used the leftovers to make a whirlpool section and 3 vertical supports tied on with copper wire.

If I did it again I would have soldered the tubing splice.

After a few years working with the scrap wood tiered system, I finally was gifted some gift certificates for my local HB shop. I decided to pick up a pump and it was all downhill from there.

Now being the cheap b*sturd that I am, I decided to use the extra/scrap wood I had sitting around the garage. 2 days worth of work and below is my new single-tier system:

29FD4B3D-5A52-4384-9C74-B9FD41307DE9-6457-00000D1E10756181.jpg

3BE803A1-37FB-443A-AEA2-02F4A4E6AE07-6457-00000D1E1AE1E072.jpg

The heat shields are built out of old metal shelves that were in the attic when I bought the house. I did have to spend $2 on some L brackets to make sure the shelves stay upright, but the rest cost me nothing (other than the pump). I brewed a batch of Irish red 2 weeks ago and it performed flawlessly. I just have to coat it with some paint (for looks only) and figure where I want to secure the surge protector that serves as my pump switch.

I built a modular system. For easy storage as well as being able to wheel the boil kettle over to my outlet so that I can drain beer from the garage to the basement.

All set up:
IMG_4489.JPG

Nicely stored away:
IMG_4490.JPG

rwagner23 said:
I built a modular system. For easy storage as well as being able to wheel the boil kettle over to my outlet so that I can drain beer from the garage to the basement.

All set up:

Nicely stored away:

This looks a lot like my setup but is modular.

Drain the boil kettle from the garage to basement?! Brilliant! You have to post a pic of that! You should put an aerator inline so while the wort flows to the basement it is aerated on the way.

Here is a potential setup for a poor man's electric build:

palletbrewstand_zpsb701dbc9.png

Step one: cut pallet in half
Step two: put kegs on pallet

Simple as that and I haven't seen this done. It seems like it would be a tight squeeze but nothing beats free :D

After a few years working with the scrap wood tiered system, I finally was gifted some gift certificates for my local HB shop. I decided to pick up a pump and it was all downhill from there.

Now being the cheap b*sturd that I am, I decided to use the extra/scrap wood I had sitting around the garage. 2 days worth of work and below is my new single-tier system:

Just out of curiosity, why do you have your pump running from the lauter tun to the boil kettle? I'm bored at work and for some odd reason, it's bugging me! I've gotta know! :drunk:

Well here's my first post to the forum. I've been brewing mead and beer kits for a few years and finally took the plunge to go all grain. My brothers and I built this and I did the measurements specific to my equipment, so the "all gravity" works great. Did my first batch last night and all went well til the water hose froze up during the last 15 min of boil so I had nothing to hook my chiller to. Nothing like hauling a huge pot of boiling hot wort up stairs thru the house!

image-3988921736.jpg

Hey Jackle...

Dunno where you're at, but if it's cold enough to freeze your water line, just leave the pot out in the coooooold air to chill...snowbank works too! It's what I gotta do in northern Minnesota if I want to do a full boil. Hauling 5 Gals of HOT wort (40#) plus weight of the kettle = disaster waiting to happen!! I did it (hauled wort to kitchen in winter) a couple of times b4 deciding to use Mama Nature to chill in winter. MUCH easier on the back too.

Cheers!!

Well here's my first post to the forum. I've been brewing mead and beer kits for a few years and finally took the plunge to go all grain. My brothers and I built this and I did the measurements specific to my equipment, so the "all gravity" works great. Did my first batch last night and all went well til the water hose froze up during the last 15 min of boil so I had nothing to hook my chiller to. Nothing like hauling a huge pot of boiling hot wort up stairs thru the house!

View attachment 98276

Thanks for the advice and yes, my back is killing me. That was the whole point of the gravity system! I'm installing a faucet off my hot water heater in the garage before my next batch, should make cleanup and everything else easy too.

Here's the wooden single tier I'm building. It's almost done in this pic. Need to finish the work table part on the end and plumb the water and electric still. Just haven't had time to finish...

IMG_20130122_171217.jpg

Gitmoe said:
Here's the wooden single tier I'm building. It's almost done in this pic. Need to finish the work table part on the end and plumb the water and electric still. Just haven't had time to finish...

Quick question on plate chillers, I see you have one mounted. Do you pump from boil kettle through the chiller and straight into your fermenter or do you recirculate the wort the through the chiller back into the kettle until the temp drops enough? One pas through the chiller or multiple? Depends on the water temp I guess?

Quick question on plate chillers, I see you have one mounted. Do you pump from boil kettle through the chiller and straight into your fermenter or do you recirculate the wort the through the chiller back into the kettle until the temp drops enough? One pas through the chiller or multiple? Depends on the water temp I guess?

I'm adding a recirculation/whirlpool port on the boil kettle. The wort will be pumped through the chiller and back into the boil kettle until the temperature is dropped far enough. Honestly I haven't used that Therminator yet to pass on first hand experience. I was previously using an immersion chiller in my old setup. I've seen people on youtube pass through the Therminator once and drop the temp to around 60 degrees with cold enough counterflow water. It's a beast of a chiller.

Gitmoe said:
I'm adding a recirculation/whirlpool port on the boil kettle. The wort will be pumped through the chiller and back into the boil kettle until the temperature is dropped far enough. Honestly I haven't used that Therminator yet to pass on first hand experience. I was previously using an immersion chiller in my old setup. I've seen people on youtube pass through the Therminator once and drop the temp to around 60 degrees with cold enough counterflow water. It's a beast of a chiller.

Yeah I've heard great things about the Shirron one in particular but they all seem to be a step up from immersion. I am using a keggle right now and trying to decide the best way to whirlpool and transfer. Right now I have a dip tube in the middle that drains it all no problem but all the break and hops go too. I've been moving to secondary after a week... Not to open another topic...

Hey, ours are pretty similar! Question, do you have some sort of heat barrier b/t the bottom brew kettle and post for the mash tun? I've only brewed one batch and did my boil on the garage floor b/c I didn't want to torch the front legs. Thinking of getting some stainless steel sheets.

Hey, ours are pretty similar! Question, do you have some sort of heat barrier b/t the bottom brew kettle and post for the mash tun? I've only brewed one batch and did my boil on the garage floor b/c I didn't want to torch the front legs. Thinking of getting some stainless steel sheets.

I did eventually wind up putting a thin layer of cement board (durock) against the lower tier (and also the top tier as a precaution) just as a safeguard to prevent the same issue you are concerned about. However, I will state that my sculpture (as built) did not have any evidence of charring, burns, or anything that would lead me to worry about a fire except the fact that I had a burner lower that wood that was nearby. The durock and screws were fairly cheap so it wasn't a big deal and gave me piece of mind. I have since plumbed the whole sculpture for propane and also filtered water to help with ease when brewing.

Just finished up my wooden brew rig last night. The only thing it cost me was $35 for the HLT burner. I received the kegs and weldless bulkheads for Christmas. I was hoping to go with a single tier metal rig, but I couldn't beat the cost of my wood rig! Everything else was gathered from around the house and father in law's barn. Hopefully the 9 month old will want to help me brew tomorrow!

Photo Feb 09, 9 38 30 AM.jpg

Photo Feb 09, 9 40 05 AM.jpg

Photo Feb 09, 9 40 15 AM.jpg

Hey jELD,
Looks good! Clean and straight forward. What kind of material do you have under the burners?

Brandx40 said:
Hey jELD,
Looks good! Clean and straight forward. What kind of material do you have under the burners?

Thanks...worked very well today, despite the frozen hose for the wort chiller. Under the burners I have some 1/8" thick aluminum sheets with holes...found them laying around in a trash pile...yeah I'm that guy!

Thanks...worked very well today, despite the frozen hose for the wort chiller. Under the burners I have some 1/8" thick aluminum sheets with holes...found them laying around in a trash pile...yeah I'm that guy!

Great find! At least in this case you should be proud to be "That Guy" :)

Where are you guys finding the casters for your rigs at a decent price?

Looking to build one shortly and the prices I am finding are insane.
Thanks in advance!

jEld said:
Just finished up my wooden brew rig last night. The only thing it cost me was $35 for the HLT burner. I received the kegs and weldless bulkheads for Christmas. I was hoping to go with a single tier metal rig, but I couldn't beat the cost of my wood rig! Everything else was gathered from around the house and father in law's barn. Hopefully the 9 month old will want to help me brew tomorrow!

An sq14 for $35? Good deal, where?

Cbaddad said:

I'm still in the process of building mine so no pics yet but I found my casters at a local flea market. There is almost always one shop that sells bolts and widgets, look there. I got dual lock casters for 5 bucks each, would have been 60 on Amazon and those were smaller than the ones I got so probably even more if I found the same ones.

carful with the burners on there they might be able to slide just a maybe

Cbaddad said:

Looking to build one shortly and the prices I am finding are insane.
Thanks in advance!

Harbor Freight Tools has good size casters for a reasonable price, and they run sales pretty frequently. I think I paid $5 each.

This is my first post but I have been lurking this site for some time getting ideas for my brew rig. I started out with a Mr. Beer and just wanted to upgrade a little and get into AG but once I started I couldn't stop. This site sucks you in and makes you do things you didn't set out to do. It took me a year to build between my family, school and working out of town but it is done and will brew its first batch in the next couple days. Thanks to all the great builds out there for the ideas and motivation

That is an amazing build. You have some skills.

BFD Brewhaus v2.0 - Single level platform for three Blichmann floor LP burners and two March 815 pumps (HLT kettle and third burner future)...gas manifold, NG conversion and HLT/MLT temperature control automation are future upgrades...

2013-02-26-BFD_Brewhaus_Expansion-iso3.jpg

2013-02-26-BFD_Brewhaus_Expansion-iso4w-brewdude.jpg

DSC_5179.jpg

DSC_5183.jpg

DSC_5180.jpg

Latest posts

Back