Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My baby!

image-2647689817.jpg

image-1958831387.jpg

It ain't much, but I finally built myself a brew cart. It is "upholstered" with a fire resistant tarp that I had stuffed in the shed. I have a few things left to do, but it came together just like I wanted it to.

photo.JPG

harten74 said:
Thanks gents. I used Google Sketch Up to design it and I'd be happy to share those plans with anyone that is interested.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7265982/Restoration%20Brewing/Plans/BrewRig.skp

Updated link on 05/10/12

Hmmm...This link doesn't seem to go anywhere. Looks like it was updated recently though...Any assistance? I love the design and am looking forward to building something similar if not the same. Thats right I wanna bite it! =)

OneHoppyGuy said:
It's a Google Sketch Up file. You have to download it and Google Sketch Up to view it.

Wow...How did I not pick up on that? Thanks. I'll have to download it and check it out.

Ya, I got it for $2 and even debated about putting it on... I had a 3 inch dial thermo on it originally, and only a 4" probe, and it never even kept a close temp for mashing. This is closer to a 6" probe and in the middle of the tank, so I hope it is more accurate :) Going digital soon anyway i guess, but I like the way they look :)

I usually don't care for wood brew systems but this is one very nice looking unit. Almost a piece of furniture. Well Done!

My rig I just finished. About $40 in lumber and hardware. The support arms come off and the tiers fold down, then the bottom comes off for easy storage.

IMAG0290.jpg

blaster_54738 said:
My rig I just finished. About $40 in lumber and hardware. The support arms come off and the tiers fold down, then the bottom comes off for easy storage.

Nice setup...do you have plans or materials list? I like the idea of folding it up to store when not using it. Space is at a premium in the garage!

Nice setup...do you have plans or materials list? I like the idea of folding it up to store when not using it. Space is at a premium in the garage!

I can try and scan my plans and post them.

The base is 2x4's and is 4' x 2'6".

The uprights are 2x4's as well and I think I ended up making it 5'6" tall.

The platforms are made with 1x4's and measure 2'x2'.

The side supports are 1x4's I just cut to fit. These have to be removed for it to fold.

I used 1/2"x4" bolts for all of it. Base separates and stores really nice.

blaster_54738 said:
I can try and scan my plans and post them.

The base is 2x4's and is 4' x 2'6".

The uprights are 2x4's as well and I think I ended up making it 5'6" tall.

The platforms are made with 1x4's and measure 2'x2'.

The side supports are 1x4's I just cut to fit. These have to be removed for it to fold.

I used 1/2"x4" bolts for all of it. Base separates and stores really nice.

Thanks! Maybe another pic from the side? I can't quite make out why it doesn't tip over in the base. Do you have 2 bolts through the uprights into the base? Is that sturdy when the coolers are full? I can see the bracing on the shelves...looks like you have a one by between the braces and the upright. I like the simplicity and common materials used in your setup!

Thanks! Maybe another pic from the side? I can't quite make out why it doesn't tip over in the base. Do you have 2 bolts through the uprights into the base? Is that sturdy when the coolers are full? I can see the bracing on the shelves...looks like you have a one by between the braces and the upright. I like the simplicity and common materials used in your setup!

Yeah there is 2 bolts on each side holding it up. It held to coolers fine. I didn't get my holes drilled perfectly so it did tilt a little when I put the first cooler on but nothing major. Here is a side picture after I bolted on the top tier

IMAG0287.jpg

blaster_54738 said:
Yeah there is 2 bolts on each side holding it up. It held to coolers fine. I didn't get my holes drilled perfectly so it did tilt a little when I put the first cooler on but nothing major. Here is a side picture after I bolted on the top tier

Nice...thanks for the extra pic! I'll post a pic when I make one!!

Here is mine. I am going to add a filter and water directly to the HLT. I presently fill the HLT a gallon at a time. Everything is at a height that I don't have to move anything heavy except the spent grains.

IMG_5399-1.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

Here is mine. I am going to add a filter and water directly to the HLT. I presently fill the HLT a gallon at a time. Everything is at a height that I don't have to move anything heavy except the spent grains.

IMG_5399-1.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

Any plans or dimensions for this? Nice job....Only thing I would add are some wheels in case you need to move it away from a wall.

Started this stand a few weeks ago, 1 batch done on it and working well...just needs some stain and poly and maybe a little more work on storage.
602487_405798436122105_744026876_n.jpg

image-3262619818.jpg

Here's mine with pump and cfc. The tubing in the pic is not set up correctly. Iirc the cfc is in a loop to prevent drips or contamination. The outlet box on the back has a switched outlet so the pump can plug into the outlet and then the pump is switched on and off from the switch there on the stand. The cfc is bolted to the stand and has an inline thermo on the outlet.

IMAG0287.jpg

At the risk of being chicken little-ish, I would advise placing some bracing between the legs and base of this stand. The legs at the two bolts holding the legs upright could easily be overstressed and fail if the stand were ever to be loaded more on one side than the other, and torque the legs and split that connection.

Today's 4th of July project was finally building the 3-tier setup.

Still need to mount the heat exchanger, run some plumbing for water supply, and get the new burners hooked up, but the structure is together. Can't wait to brew with it :D

thumb2_3-tier-brew-stand-55517.jpg

At the risk of being chicken little-ish, I would advise placing some bracing between the legs and base of this stand. The legs at the two bolts holding the legs upright could easily be overstressed and fail if the stand were ever to be loaded more on one side than the other, and torque the legs and split that connection.

It had no issues with two 5 gallon coolers on there, solid as a rock. I may do that when I step up to the 10 gallon coolers but right now I'm not too concerned.

Today's 4th of July project was finally building the 3-tier setup.

Still need to mount the heat exchanger, run some plumbing for water supply, and get the new burners hooked up, but the structure is together. Can't wait to brew with it :D

thumb2_3-tier-brew-stand-55517.jpg

Nice work Thomcat.....Very simple yet effective. No issues with the blichmann burners being that close to the wood? Do you have any plans to share on your build?

Well Done! :mug:

wilserbrewer said:

I agree with Wilserbrewer. A scalding accident from 15# of grain and 5 gallons of water @ 150 degrees would be very serious, if the shelf collapsed during the mash.

IMAG0287.jpg

It had no issues with two 5 gallon coolers on there, solid as a rock. I may do that when I step up to the 10 gallon coolers but right now I'm not too concerned.
IMHO you should be. That thing is an accident waiting to happen. You have far too long of a span to simply have a couple of 2x4's held together at a 90 degree angle to hope to hold itself together. All the stress is within a tiny 3.5"x3.5" area where you've put two large bolts which further reduce the integrity of the wood. Over time it will give. Spend the $3-4 on a couple of 2x4 cross braces on either side at 45 degree angles. You already did it at the top. Do it at the bottom for the exact same reasons. Nobody wants to see a brewer get hurt.

Kal

Latest posts

Back