Show me your Corona hopper.. if you made one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use it anymore but I used one of those aluminum(?) HVAC duct things. Like this one but upside down...

hvacimg1lg.jpg

It's actually not sitting on it, I cut the funnel so that it snuggly fit on the hopper that comes with the grain mill. It's friction fit and never moved even a little bit (the factory hopper got pushed down into the plastic hopper until it stopped). I put silicone on the inside seam where they meet just to keep grains from getting stuck. $5 solution and it works great.

I do not have a picture but I based mine on Bradsul's.

I used a 5 gallon water bottle and cut the bottom off though. Works great unless it gets bumped...

Guess I should have asked you Brad how it was attached when I stole your idea. ;)

zero said:
I do not have a picture but I based mine on Bradsul's.

I used a 5 gallon water bottle and cut the bottom off though. Works great unless it gets bumped...

Guess I should have asked you Brad how it was attached when I stole your idea. ;)
That'll learn ya. :D

On mine, a cardboard oatmeal canister from the grocery store fit perfectly inside the small stock hopper, and let it hold several pounds of grain.

Funkenjaeger said:
On mine, a cardboard oatmeal canister from the grocery store fit perfectly inside the small stock hopper, and let it hold several pounds of grain.

Oh, I like it.. frugal and purposeful.

I should get the mill tomorrow. Any idea what I could use to practice - oatmeal, lentils or walnuts maybe..?

Funkenjaeger, where is Orono, ME?

beergears said:
Oh, I like it.. frugal and purposeful.
If you like that, you'd definitely like my bent-sheet-metal chute that guides grain down into the bucket, and my plastic-food-container guard that kept *most* of the grain going into the bucket instead of spraying all over... See attached photo of it fully dressed up and ready for battle (minus the couple of pieces of tin foil/cardboard/whatever that I had to jam into the sides of the guard to keep grain from spraying out there, too)

I was determined to not spend a DIME on upgrading the corona mill... the phrase about 'polishing a turd' comes to mind, though to be fair, it certainly did its job for the mere $30 it cost me. Since I got a barley crusher, naturally, I haven't used the corona at all, but I almost can't bear to get rid of it, just for comedic value ;)

Funkenjaeger, where is Orono, ME?
Right about here:
[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=orono,+me&ie=UTF8&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=0"]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=orono,+me&ie=UTF8&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=0[/ame]

DSCF1428.JPG

OK, the Corona is here.
I am fiddling with spacer washers..

How do you adjust the thing?

For reference, I found this on the net:

----start quoted stuff---
Dave Miller in his Homebrewing Guide has a good section on
adjusting the Corona. Based off of memory, here are the steps.

1) Tighten the adjustment screw until it starts to push the plate
against the body of the mill.

2) Back off 1/2 turn on adjustment screw.

3) Crush 1 cup malt.

4) Check crushed malt. If you have lot's of intact malt,
tighten 1/2 turn. If you have very few intact husks and lots of
bits broken into bits smaller than 1/2, loosen 1/2 turn.

5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you have a good crush (usually by
three iterations). If you have trouble getting a purfect crush,
shoot for having too coarse of a crush, thereby keeping more husks
intact.

6) Mark the adjustment screw for future reference, and tighten the
wingnut.

Miller states that the adjustment should work for barley and barley
malt, but wheat and rye will probably require a tighter adjustment.
----end quoted stuff---

I've got mine set at about 1mm gap. It handles wheat, barley and rye (there is a picture of my crush in my gallery). Don't worry about wasting a bit of 2row to get it set properly, you'll never have to adjust it again.

Funkenjaeger said:
If you like that, you'd definitely like my bent-sheet-metal chute that guides grain down into the bucket, and my plastic-food-container guard that kept *most* of the grain going into the bucket instead of spraying all over... See attached photo of it fully dressed up and ready for battle (minus the couple of pieces of tin foil/cardboard/whatever that I had to jam into the sides of the guard to keep grain from spraying out there, too)

I was determined to not spend a DIME on upgrading the corona mill... the phrase about 'polishing a turd' comes to mind, though to be fair, it certainly did its job for the mere $30 it cost me. Since I got a barley crusher, naturally, I haven't used the corona at all, but I almost can't bear to get rid of it, just for comedic value ;)

Right about here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=orono,+me&ie=UTF8&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=0
that's awesome, I'm setting up the oatmeal canister and sour cream tub next time! Now I need to figure out how to mount the mill right above my mash tun.

Back