Show me your conical cooler!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vasie

Reaction score
Heaven help me, the day has finally come. My brand-new 14.5 gal conical fermenter has arrived. Since I placed the order for this sublime piece of brewing machinery, I have been brain storming how I am going to cool this thing during fermentation--the bath tub is no longer an option!

Please post pictures of your conicals in action with special emphasis on your conical cooling solution. Did you build a fermentation closet? Did you wrap it in a cooling/heating jacket? Did you work out some kind of immersion coil?

For the love of a dancing banana, Lets see it!:ban:

I built a fermentation room in a closet in my garage. It's under a stairwell and the back of the closet backs up to part of the foundation of the house. I put a portable AC unit in the closet, and vented it out under the house. I was also able to run an electrical outlet from under the house to the back of the closet, so power is taken care of. I lined the closet with reflective insulation from Lowes and put down some Styrofoam insulation and MDF board on the floor. I need to finish up some around the door still, but it works. I'm currently brewing a couple of lagers in it and can get the temp down to the mid 40's by running the AC unit in dehumidifier mode. It can easily hold 10 cornies plus my 15 gallon conical and a couple of bucket fermenters.

Here's a photo.

8384-P1000228128x160.jpg

At this point, I don't have a spare room or under-stair nook, so I probably leaning towards building a freestanding fermentation closet. I figure that planning on running coolant lines from my kegerator. I am pretty sure there are been some pictures of a like system on the forum.

ALSO, another question, for those of you with big fermenters, do you typically fill the fermenter in-place ( in your cooler ), or did you design your cooler so that you could rolling, lift, slide, teleport your full fermenters?

Thanks.

Back