Shouuld I rack my Heffe Weissen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
I know I've heard people say that you shouldn't rack a weissen to a secondary..

but if I want a little less sediment in my beer, would it hurt if I did.. for a week or so?

Does this effect the taste at all?

You might be better off crash cooling in the primary. That is, put it in the fridge for a couple days before bottling. This will clear it some without the risk of infection (or the hassle). Will it hurt to rack to secondary? No, if your sanitation is good. After a couple weeks, it probably won't affect the taste either way.

I actually like the cloudiness in a hefe.

+1 - I think people generally say that because they are cloudy anyway, so there is no need to clear them. I think that amount of sediment has more to do with the care you take in siphoning than whether you clear it. In the secondary, there is still going to be sediment at the bottom which you will need to avoid stirring up when bottling if you want it clear.

It should not effect the taste of your beer, unless you move it too early.

I secondary my HWs for that exact reason...less yeast in the bottle. I've been doing it for years.

After the yeast falls out I add some of it back into the bucket or keg. Just enough to make the beer cloudy again.

I racked my Heffe to secondary for 3 day's after fermentation was done so as to hopefuly see sediment fallout. Went to keg after that and Forced Carbed.

It looked clear going into the Keg, but now as Carbed it's nice and cloudy. I have not a clue as to how that happened. Tastes better than it did before secondary too. FG was the same racking to keg as Secondary.

As others said, ok if you can manage sanitation.

Latest posts

Back