Should my Wyeast pack be fine or should I bury it and forget I ever saw it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stilgar

Reaction score
Planned two brews and a fun brew day before going on vacation for a week in Seaside OR(just got back) Before I left I ordered some stuff from NorthernBrewer and told my roommate to expect two packages. I'd forgotten about ordering some Wyeast 1028 with the first package, but knew and told my roommate about their being yeast in the second one and asking her to open it and refrigerate the yeast for me. Well I got home tonight and opened the first package and that's when I noticed the yeast sitting inside there.

That package arrived Friday the 26th and sat in a warm closet until this evening then I put it in the fridge. It's puffy but not expanded or turning into the Yeast Hulk and bursting the packaging. My question is should the yeast still be ok having been left out and unrefrigerated for that long? Or should I use this as a perfectly fine excuse to visit my LHBS.

I'd toss it myself, but you could try making a starter with it and see how it turns out.

smack it and see if the yeast are still alive. I'd definitely do a starter for it though

The beer gods seem against me brewing today, or I could blame it on the new Doctor being picked today on BBC. Either way I had to end up doing a starter. The bag looked lifeless so figured better play it safe and just get a new one from lhbs. Get home get things set up and...bag never puffs up. So said screw it let's make a starter and hope for the best. Only time I've ever had an issue with a smack pack, figured it'd happen when I finally had time and ingredients to make a stout. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back