Should it stay or should it go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
I had the brilliant idea to spice things up and use 1 gallon of cheap raspberry juice to 4 gallons of apple juice + montrachet (re: Apfelwein). 4 weeks later it cleared and tastes a little off, and sort of gross. I'm really wishing I didn't toy with the recipe in this case. Luckily I have enough to get me through, but what to do with this?

Give it a proper funeral in the backwoods and start a fresh batch tonight?

Or let it come to a possible fruition?

Carboys are VALUABLE real estate here

No real harm in letting it sit in the basement and forgetting about it for a few months. Im not saying its going to get any better but it doesnt hurt to give it a try.
Probably not gonna get much better, but I would defiantly stash it somewhere for awhile.

Edit: you fast bastard

Like buffalo and masshole said let it sit for a while. If you don't like it after it's aged for a while longer use it for marinade or if you've got a smoker put it in the water bowl.

Toppers, I'm in the 'wait and see' camp (having had several batches that improved considerably with age).

But based on your last line, you don't want to tie a carboy up for that long .... so that just means you need more carboys :)

dump_beer.jpg

Yuri -

How much for a poster and a T-shirt with THAT graphic?

Pogo

Oh, I want one alright!

But...the troubles it would cause.

Maybe I could give a few for gifts...hmmm...or, MAYBE if I could put someone up to giving ME one for a gift.

But, what good would it do to have it, if I couldn't wear it!!!

Let me ponder this for a while.

Pogo

Oh, I want one alright!

But...the troubles it would cause.

Maybe I could give a few for gifts...hmmm...or, MAYBE if I could put someone up to giving ME one for a gift.

But, what good would it do to have it, if I couldn't wear it!!!

Let me ponder this for a while.

Pogo
Get one made up and find somone leaving town to mail it to you from across the country...:D

Yuri would it be possible to get a discount if I bought EVERY product you had featured there?
I'm thinking the poster would go great in the dorm.

Don't dump it. If you believed it had some promise when you made it, give it a chance. let it age and see if the bad flavors go away, and some good raspberry ones come out.

The markup is already at the bare minimum, so it's discounted as much as Zazzle allows. If you look around the web, you might find some Zazzle coupon codes that will work.

I had the brilliant idea to spice things up and use 1 gallon of cheap raspberry juice to 4 gallons of apple juice + montrachet (re: Apfelwein). 4 weeks later it cleared and tastes a little off, and sort of gross. I'm really wishing I didn't toy with the recipe in this case. Luckily I have enough to get me through, but what to do with this?

Those half-gallon and gallon jugs make great experiment containers without tying up a carboy.

I tried some small batches with (off the top of my head) something like 33% and 25% cranberry. Evil, nasty.

So last time I backed down to 10% and 5% cranberry. The 10% was ok, not much cranberry. The 5% has promise, and actually tastes more cranberry-y. Or however you'd say that.

I bottled them all flat and will let them sit for a year and see what happens.

You could stabilize it and back-sweeten. The off taste may just need a bit of sweet to bring out the rasberry. Sugar to fruit wines is like salt is to food!

Whatever you do, don't dump it. Always remember the golden rule - it will get better

Back