Should i worry about toxic chemicals since i used unwashed grapes for making wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acevsjack

Reaction score
So basically im new to brewing and yesterday i just bought grapes from the supermarket and prepared them for making wine.
I followed all the steps correctly and i haven't washed my grapes and i started the fermentation.
It's all well and the yeast is active properly, but I've seen a video about winemaking and the guy said if youre unsure about your grapes that may contain bug spray i have to wash them before crushing and i can add yeast later on.
Now I'm worried if my wine may contain bug spray and i might get poisoned if i drink it when I'm done fermenting and bottling.
1st note: In case there is bug spray in my wine , is there a way to filter it out?

2nd note : while i was separating the graped from the roots i either mistakenly killed a spider that was in the roots.. or it was already dead ... glad i was wearing gloves.. and I found it's small nest on the roots and a couple of rotten grapes.. if I mistakenly killed it it might mean that my grape doesn't contain bug spray... if it was already dead it might've died from bug spray or from the fridge where i picked it up from.

3rd note : i know it's normal that the fermentation process it produces bubbles but is it normal that wine bubbles has this color? Looks like soap bubbles.
70193114-5C4B-4A5F-80CE-C4934E88299A.jpeg55DA6F20-BEEC-49A9-8367-D9BBBF552CB9.jpeg
thank you for your time and sorry if there are any grammar mistakes and i hope i get answers soon.

I would think that the supermarket would have washed the grapes before selling them. At least I'd hope so. As far as the spider goes, I think that the cold temps would have killed it. And the bubbles look normal. Unless you're making a white wine, then you may have an issue...

I would think that the supermarket would have washed the grapes before selling them. At least I'd hope so. As far as the spider goes, I think that the cold temps would have killed it. And the bubbles look normal. Unless you're making a white wine, then you may have an issue...
Thank you so much! And i hope they wash it before selling it... and no im making red wine not white so hopefully there's no problem..

I was being facetious about the white wine. It's obvious that it's not. :)

How big is the batch? What yeast are you using? And, did you take a hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast? Just curious.
The batch is around 3kg
And I'm using around 1 tsp of dry instant yeast
And no unfortunately i dont have a hydrometer

Is that 3kg of grapes? I actually meant what volume is it? 3L maybe?
I'm not sure how alcohol tolerant that yeast would be, so don't expect much. I'd recommend using a wine yeast, or even a high alcohol tolerant beer yeast. But, you're new to the hobby, so experiment with it. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out like you want. There are a lot of places online to order yeast, check out the sponsor page.
A hydrometer isn't necessary, but it's the only way to get an idea of how much alcohol you have. And, it'll make it safer when it comes to bottling. If you bottle while it still has fermentable sugars, and the yeast haven't reached their alcohol tolerance, you could end up with bottle bombs. In the bottle, the CO2 has no way to escape, causing pressure to build up. Too much, and the bottles could explode.

Is that 3kg of grapes? I actually meant what volume is it? 3L maybe?
I'm not sure how alcohol tolerant that yeast would be, so don't expect much. I'd recommend using a wine yeast, or even a high alcohol tolerant beer yeast. But, you're new to the hobby, so experiment with it. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out like you want. There are a lot of places online to order yeast, check out the sponsor page.
A hydrometer isn't necessary, but it's the only way to get an idea of how much alcohol you have. And, it'll make it safer when it comes to bottling. If you bottle while it still has fermentable sugars, and the yeast haven't reached their alcohol tolerance, you could end up with bottle bombs. In the bottle, the CO2 has no way to escape, causing pressure to build up. Too much, and the bottles could explode.
Thanks for the tip!
Btw the yeast is super active as you can see in this video but itll need explanation.
As for the steps im following :
Ill let it sit for 5 days then purify it with cloth removong the grape skin then go to the 2nd fermentation phaze with only the liquid for another 5 days, but ill make it 7 days just to make sure that there's no more fermentable sugars.
After that ill go ahead for the bottling phase and while bottling ill purify it (not sure if it's the right word) using active carbon to remove most of the yeasty and sour flavor.

Thanks for the tip!
Btw the yeast is super active as you can see in this video but itll need explanation.
As for the steps im following :
Ill let it sit for 5 days then purify it with cloth removong the grape skin then go to the 2nd fermentation phaze with only the liquid for another 5 days, but ill make it 7 days just to make sure that there's no more fermentable sugars.
After that ill go ahead for the bottling phase and while bottling ill purify it (not sure if it's the right word) using active carbon to remove most of the yeasty and sour flavor.
View attachment 735046

So basically im new to brewing and yesterday i just bought grapes from the supermarket and prepared them for making wine.
I followed all the steps correctly and i haven't washed my grapes and i started the fermentation.
It's all well and the yeast is active properly, but I've seen a video about winemaking and the guy said if youre unsure about your grapes that may contain bug spray i have to wash them before crushing and i can add yeast later on.
Now I'm worried if my wine may contain bug spray and i might get poisoned if i drink it when I'm done fermenting and bottling.
1st note: In case there is bug spray in my wine , is there a way to filter it out?

2nd note : while i was separating the graped from the roots i either mistakenly killed a spider that was in the roots.. or it was already dead ... glad i was wearing gloves.. and I found it's small nest on the roots and a couple of rotten grapes.. if I mistakenly killed it it might mean that my grape doesn't contain bug spray... if it was already dead it might've died from bug spray or from the fridge where i picked it up from.

3rd note : i know it's normal that the fermentation process it produces bubbles but is it normal that wine bubbles has this color? Looks like soap bubbles.
View attachment 735034View attachment 735035
thank you for your time and sorry if there are any grammar mistakes and i hope i get answers soon.
Unfortunately using table grapes to make wine will be disappointing. Table grapes are harvested at a Brix of 12-13. Wine grapes are up around 22, much much higher sugar content.
You will have fun though. Treat it as a science experiment.
And to answer your other question, grapes are usually not washed as they are field packed.

Gotta agree with rancocas, Table grapes are cultivated and grown for eating and not for wine making. The flavors of wine grapes are very different from those you find in table grapes. That does not mean that you cannot make a wine from table grapes BUT don't expect the wine you make to have the depth and complexity of flavors of even a cheap bottle of plonk. Don't expect that the wine you will make will have the acidic snap that either a red or a white wine will have or the tannic spine that you expect from a commercial wine. I've made a batch or two of wine from table grapes for purely experimental purposes (and heck! even allowing the red grapes to sit on the skins for two weeks after crushing I was able to squeeze out a pale rose rather than a red wine). They are not anything I would choose to offer to anyone other than as a novelty wine, but your experience may be different.

Last point, acevsjack. You really want to look for a good wine yeast rather than an "instant" yeast. If by "instant" you are suggesting that this is a bread yeast then bread yeast does not drop out of solution after fermentation so you may taste the yeast in each glass. If by "instant" you mean the so-called "turbo" yeasts that "distillers" use those yeasts do not bring out any of the character of the fruit you use.

Back