Should I warm up my primary for a few days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin306

Reaction score
I've got a batch in my primary - it's been 3 weeks since my brew day. I've seen some people post about raising the temp for their fermentor for a few days. The brew is in a 61 degree ambient temp basement. I can move upstairs for a few days prior to bottling if it's beneficial.

What does the temperature increase accomplish, and is it worth it?

On a side note, my SG test was a lot better tasting than my first batch, which is still diacetyly after 2 weeks in the bottle. I can't get it out of my head that I didn't do a great job in the fermentors on that batch, so I'm a bit paranoid about this batch.

A lot of the time the temp being raised is done on lagers. This is a diacetyl rest. If your temp was a consistant 61 throughout fermention I do not believe raising the temps now will benifit much.

It's not going to help much now. The diacetyl rest is commonly done for lagers and british ale yeasts. Diacetyl tastes like butter or butterscotch by the way.

I've got a batch in my primary - it's been 3 weeks since my brew day. I've seen some people post about raising the temp for their fermentor for a few days. The brew is in a 61 degree ambient temp basement. I can move upstairs for a few days prior to bottling if it's beneficial.

What does the temperature increase accomplish, and is it worth it?

On a side note, my SG test was a lot better tasting than my first batch, which is still diacetyly after 2 weeks in the bottle. I can't get it out of my head that I didn't do a great job in the fermentors on that batch, so I'm a bit paranoid about this batch.

It will help clean up the beer if you raise it a few degrees. Not necessary only for lagers and diacytel. I usually raise the temp of my brews 3 to 5 degrees after fermentation is complete or right at the end of it.. I think the longer you wait though the less effect it will have.

Sounds like it should matter at this point.

I can't detect diacetyl in this batch, which is very exciting to me.

Time to bottle and wait for bubbles.

Latest posts

Back