Should I wait longer to take a reading?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

IMXELITE

Reaction score
I am at the two week mark of my first batch of beer. It is a Belgian white and the recipe said to wait 3 days up to 2 weeks. I have kept it at a steady 66 degrees and yesterday before I left for work the top looked clear and I heard bubbles every min or so. When I got up the temps had rose to 72 and the the blow off was bubbling at a 15 bubbles per min. Today I am still getting bubbles every min or so. Should I wait longer to take a reading?

ForumRunner_20130913_155850.jpg

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You want to make sure the readings are stable before bottling. So, at least three days before bottling, take a reading. Then take another reading on bottling day. If it's the same, you can bottle. If you're planning on bottling, say, Sunday, take a reading today!

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
good job on temp control

if you're in a hurry, you can start taking your readings now, but I would recommend waiting another week. then you can take 1 reading as your OG and go straight into bottling or kegging

I know, it's TORTURE, right?

remember: fermentation is not the only thing the yeast need to do, they like to clean up after themselves. that's really nice of them isn't it? it results in a better-tasting beer, so patience you must learn, young padawan

it gets easier once you get a pipeline going

or, do what I would do and don't listen to me, listen to Yooper

OP
I

IMXELITE

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I think i might take a reading today after I pick up a wine Thief from my local brew shop. I am going to need my primary by next Wednesday for two brews me and my friend are doing.

duboman

Reaction score
Curious to know what strain of Belgian yeast you used. Some strains can take a while to finish and some strains like temperatures a lot hotter than you have yours which also helps them finish.

OP
I

IMXELITE

Reaction score
Curious to know what strain of Belgian yeast you used. Some strains can take a while to finish and some strains like temperatures a lot hotter than you have yours which also helps them finish.
The yeast used was: Wyeast # 3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast.

duboman

Reaction score
IMXELITE said:
The yeast used was: Wyeast # 3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast.
Then your temp range is good and I would take a reading and see where it's at