Should I wait a little longer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CADETS3

Reaction score
I have a Dirty Bastard Clone in the primary; going on it's 3rd week. It's fermenting away in a 15.9 gallon Speidel fermenter and I have it filled with about 7 gallons. My airlock is still getting some steady action. It stays suspended for times at end. Anyway, I was planning on kegging this beer this weekend, but I am thinking I should let it continue in the fermenter for another week or so. Any suggestions? I normally do a secondary but I think that I'm going to not do that this batch. I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Cheers!

Have you checked the gravity? Has it droped clear yet? Normally after 3 weeks your good. I don't even bother with a hydrometer but I know my brews well enough now. Leave it another week if it works for you, won't hurt.

Ryan

I haven't check SG at all. I kinda had a screw up. OG was 1.067 but should have been 1.085 so I added 2 bags of liquid sugar to raise the ABV. I'm not so sure as to how I'm going to calculate ABV just yet.

I am not an expert but I would suspect that 7gal air (O2) in a fermenting beer of the same size is a bit too much air to begin with even if we assume a 1.085 SG, isn't it?

When did you add the sugar? I am not sure a yeast would love that if added late.

airlock activity isn't the best sign of fermentation. even though after bottling or kegging you need to add more CO2, there is already some suspended in the beer. this and oxidization is another reason you don't want to be splashing around your beer to much during the bottling/kegging process.
if you want proof that airlock activity doesn't mean fermentation, do a test. on your next beer (since you don't really know for sure the FG of this beer), wait until you've hit your FG (the typical rule, same reading 3 days in a row), then give the fermenter a pretty good twirl. don't shake the hell out of it or anything, just get the beer moving a bit. you will then see airlock activity, because there is co2 trapped in the beer that you have now released.

Back