Should I secondary a Mild Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
Only on my 3rd batch!!!

Should I secondary my Mild Ale? If so for how long?

Thanks,

redneckbeagle

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You'll have many different answers on this one! Some will say to leave it in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks, some will tell you to use a clearing tank (secondary). Before I started kegging I always used one for every beer. I think it gave me a clearer beer with less stuff in the bottom of the bottles. It also did something really important- it gave the beer some time to age without be drinking it!

I'd leave it in the clearing tank 2-3 weeks before bottling it, and then start drinking it 2 or 3 weeks later. You certainly don't HAVE to, though. That's the beauty of making your own beer- we all can do things a little differently.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't bother on a Mild. It's a small beer, so it doesn't need an especially long conditioning time. That, and I don't really think of most English beers as being especially clear anyway. I'd give it 10-14 days in primary, check the gravity, and if it's done go ahead and bottle.

Generally, I *do* use a secondary, but in this case I don't think it's necessary.

finchlake

Reaction score
My favorite brew is a Mild Ale, Black Cat Real Lancaster Ale. I don’t use a secondary.

About 7 days in the primary, then transfer to keg and let set at room temperature for a week or so, then put it in the fridge @39* and start the CO2.

Chad

Reaction score
I've got a Mild in primary now. I'm not going to 2ndary it. As Bird said, it's a smaller beer and doesn't need the time that a bigger beer does. I am leaving it in the primary for a little over three weeks, though, but mainly because I underpitched my yeast and want to give them time to clean up after themselves. After that, straight into the bottling bucket.

Chad

PseudoChef

Reaction score
I don't secondary any of my beers unless I do additional steps like dry hopping or oak additions. I have never noticed a problem with clarity so long as you are willing to stop racking about an inch or so above the trub and lose that beer when racking.

CBBaron

Reaction score
A mild is really designed to be ready to drink quickly and shouldn't need extended time clearing. Most English Ale yeasts used in Milds are highly floccutant and clear quickly.
I say give it 2 weeks in the primary and then bottle. 2 more weeks and it should be good to go.

Craig