Should I repitch? Pitched Yeast (Wyeast 1028) over 24 hours ago and there is no active fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Pmasur26

Reaction score
Hi All,

First ever post here. I brewed a Winter Spiced Ale yesterday and used Wyeast 1028. It has been 24 hours and I have no signs of active fermentation. Should I repitch?

A couple things to note: My OG was 1.080, and I pitched at about 74F, and have had it sitting at 67F since initial yeast pitch.

Thanks!

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If your temps dropped from the time you pitched. That may have delayed the yeast from celebrating and giving you a good krausen. That's also into the big beer territory with 1.080 SG. Did you calculate how many cells you needed to pitch or did you just wing it?

I'd give it another day and try to keep the temp stable. Unless you do the calculation and find you didn't pitch enough yeast.

OP
Pmasur26

Pmasur26

Reaction score
If your temps dropped from the time you pitched. That may have delayed the yeast from celebrating and giving you a good krausen. That's also into the big beer territory with 1.080 SG. Did you calculate how many cells you needed to pitch or did you just wing it?

I'd give it another day and try to keep the temp stable. Unless you do the calculation and find you didn't pitch enough yeast.
I do ~3 gallon batches so I calculated around 1.7 packets and pitched with 2 Wyeast 1028 packets. They didn’t inflate that much before I pitched though. I have a spare one I can pitch if need be.

DBhomebrew

Reaction score
Relax. As long as you're counting lag time in hours, not days, you're fine. 24, 36, 48, it's fine.

Actually, the longest I waited was with 1028. At 36hrs, I sent a note to the LHBS that I might stop by for fresh yeast. They gave me the advice above, saying I should wait until 72hrs before coming in. At 70hrs it was building krausen.

OP
Pmasur26

Pmasur26

Reaction score
Relax. As long as you're counting lag time in hours, not days, you're fine. 24, 36, 48, it's fine.

Actually, the longest I waited was with 1028. At 36hrs, I sent a note to the LHBS that I might stop by for fresh yeast. They gave me the advice above, saying I should wait until 72hrs before coming in. At 70hrs it was building krausen.
This makes me feel better. Gonna crack a homebrew and cook something. I will report back in (hopefully sooner than) 2 days.

DBhomebrew

Reaction score
I should also say that batch was the one that got me to pay more attention to yeast health.

Proper size pitch, oxygenation or aeration, starters (stir plate, vitality, SNS)...it's a rabbit hole.

Whatever method works for you, have a thought toward treating your yeast better in the future.

OP
Pmasur26

Pmasur26

Reaction score
I should also say that batch was the one that got me to pay more attention to yeast health.

Proper size pitch, oxygenation or aeration, starters (stir plate, vitality, SNS)...it's a rabbit hole.

Whatever method works for you, have a thought toward treating your yeast better in the future.
Reporting back:
Woke up yesterday morning (about 36 hours ago) and started to see very slight activity in the airlock and in the fermenter. Since then fermentation ramped up yesterday afternoon, and I’m still getting a bubble through the airlock every couple of seconds.

Thanks for keeping me calm, it seems like we’re on a good path now 🙂

hotbeer

Opinionated Newb
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ignore the airlock bubbles. Many seem to impart significance on their bubbling rate, however it mainly just seems to cause unwarranted frustration.

OP
Pmasur26

Pmasur26

Reaction score
Ignore the airlock bubbles. Many seem to impart significance on their bubbling rate, however it mainly just seems to cause unwarranted frustration.
I try not to impart too much significance on the airlock - was just trying to illustrate that fermentation (thankfully) took off 🙂