Should I remove the hop spider before adding flameout hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I might be over thinking this, but should I remove the hop spider before adding flameout hops? Since the lid needs to go onto the pot and it can't with the spider in place, should I pull the spider and bag and toss in a new hop sock with the flameout hops included or should I untie the hopsock, toss that in with the flameout hops included?

I will be whirlpooling right after the flame out addition.

Thanks!

I want to answer, but I don't want to give bad advice...

By removing at flameout you'll get a more accurate IBU calculation from most brewing software, as I don't think they'll be very good at calculating their additional IBU contribution during a whirlpool. But, that IBU contribution will be fairly small, yet not insignificant.

My preference would be for removing the bittering hops and whirlpooling with fresh hops. But I'm not sure that's the right answer, I don't think there is really a right answer.

I never remove any of my hops until the wort is cooled. But then, I don't even HAVE a lid so I never tried to put a lid on the pot.

Why can't the lid stay off, to ensure no conversion of SMMs to DMS?

I never remove any of my hops until the wort is cooled. But then, I don't even HAVE a lid so I never tried to put a lid on the pot.

Why can't the lid stay off, to ensure no conversion of SMMs to DMS?

I'm pretty sure the lid comes from my first reading of Plamer's How to Brew. I'll have to revisit the text but from what I understand it is to prevent wild yeast and contamination.

That is the idea, keep bugs out while it chills. I have done both ways, never seen a difference. I only keep my lid on these days if i am doing a whirlpool....and that is more to keep my hose in place until i install a whirlpool port on the kettle

Back