Should I refill 'non-refillable' bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
I have been collecting bottles from a new microbrewed beer I have been drinking, with the intention of using them for homebrew. However, I just noticed that they are stamped as 'non-refillable'. I wondered if they are actually cheap, disposable bottles, so I put them on a scale, and I see that they are in fact only 2/3rds the weight of a similarly sized bottle.

So I guess I won't use them -- or I am worrying for nothing? Does anyone have any experience using these lightweight, non-refillable bottles for homebrew?

It's a risk. Up to you.
In the UK most bottles are non returnable and the few that are are from companies converting to disposables.
It's advisable to use returnables or bottles from the HBS.
I use predominately HBS flip tops when I don't keg

Is that the same thing thats stamped on soda, soda usually says "NO REFILLS" or something like that, is it saying you cant refill it due to it being thin or is it saying you cant bring it back to the brewery for a refill like on a soda bottle???

I wouldn't refill throw away bottles unless you are doing it with beer from a keg with a counter pressure filler or a beer gun.

pirate252 said:
Is that the same thing thats stamped on soda, soda usually says "NO REFILLS" or something like that, is it saying you cant refill it due to it being thin or is it saying you cant bring it back to the brewery for a refill like on a soda bottle???

Yes, stamped on the bottle it says "NO REFILL". I am guessing that this means it is a throw-away bottle. I guess I won't bother trying to use them -- too bad, though, because they were nice bottles. Nice shape, labels came off VERY easy, and no threads.

beer4breakfast said:
I guess I'm not clear on what kind of bottle it is. Most microbrews that I buy are bottled in the exact same kind of bottle that my LHBS sells new for bottling. They aren't as heavy as the old returnables, but where I live you can't find any of the returnables anymore.

I guess if it's really thin, you might break it when you cap it, but I've had no problem with bottles like the ones that Sam Adams, Dogfish Head, Hop Devil, Flying Dog, Breckenridge, etc., use.

Well, if anyone has a scale, maybe they could check this. I weighed an empty refillable bottle and it was 287 grams. The microbrew bottle was only 202 grams. I might be able to scrounge up a Flying Dog bottle around here somewhere, but I don't have access to any of the other brands you mentioned. Anyways, I would be curious how heavy they were -- closer to the refillable bottles I am used to using, or closer to this 'thin' microbrew bottle?

USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been using Corona bottles for ages, and it says "non-returnable" bottles right on the box.

The difference in BMC bottles and the ones you buy at your LHBS is negligable. Don't be afraid to use them.

beer4breakfast said:
Can you post a picture? A nice closeup?

I don't have a great camera, so these aren't the best pics.

bottles.jpg

Here are the two bottles. The left one is the 'NO REFILL' bottle @ 202 grams. The right is the refillable bottle at 287 grams.

closeup.jpg

Here is a close-up of what is stamped on the micro-brew bottle.

Does that help?

weren't those twist offs?

I've heard you can cap twist offs with a bench capper but not a swing

good luck

Thanks to everyone for their input, particularly those of you who weighed your bottles! I guess I will try using them after all, although I think I might set those 'light' bottles aside for the beer that I give away.

Cheers! :mug:

I think they're labeled with 'no refill' to keep them from being rebottled at a brewery. In fact, I'm not sure that any brewery refills bottles within the US - everything gets recycled, melted, and re-cast into new bottles again... kind of a waste if you ask me.

I would use them without hesitation. If they can hold carbonation from a brewery, your carbonation should be no different.

I'm in my 2nd year of brewing, the 14th batch hits the boiling pot this week, and we have never lost a bottle due to over pressurization or explosion of any sort. Most of our bottles have been used 3, 4 or 5 times since we saved them from our recycling bins.

kvh

Back