Should I reboil my priming solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AwesomeSquad

Reaction score
Ok, so I sanatized everything, made my priming solution and got ready to bottle. The problem is that I didnt have enough bottle caps.

Hooray.

Anyway I made a kickass tincture that I mixed in with my priming solution. I sanatized some saran wrap and covered the put the pot in the fridge until I can get some caps.
Should I reboil the solution since there is a tincture in it? I'm worried that I'll ruin the tincture that I spent weeks making. If I just throw it in will I infect my batch?

Dammit.

What was the tincture? Normally, I would re-boil, but if you put the wrap on while it was still hot I'm not sure you'll have a problem.

If you re-boiled the solution, you will lose some of the aromatic principles from the tincture. However, remember that a lot of recipes call for things like cinnamon to be added in the last few minutes of the boil. If you're truly concerned about bacteria contamination, you don't have to boil the solution, but can pasteurize it by bringing it to about 160* F for 30-40 minutes. That should be cool enough to keep the aromatic principles in tact better than if you were to boil the solution. Thats a happy medium.

I think Theredben was indicating that he things you'd be fine if you just tossed it in without boiling.

Back