Should I rack or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBLbrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Witbier, and it has been in the primary for 7 days. It had an original gravity of 1.047, and I'm fairly certain that it has hit it's FG. it is at 1.008 now. There is still a thick layer of yeast on top. Should I wait till it drops out, or go ahead and rack to secondary. The yeast is the White Labs WLP400. It is low flocculating... But this looks like no floccualting. This is my first Witbier, and I am used to after about 4 days, there is no yeast left on top. Thoughts?

Keep it in the primary for about 3-4 weeks. Then keg/bottle after that. No secondary needed.

I was hoping to free up my one and only 6.5 gallon primary so that I could put another brew in it. Perhaps it's time for me to buy another bucket.

Yeah buckets are cheap and it is a lot easier to not have to rack to a carboy. Less chance for infections.

Yeah, if you have to rack, give it at least 10 days in primary. I agree that the beer is complete with fermentation, but the yeast will continue to metabolise any acetaldehyde and diacetyl that they have produced - basically negating the risk of any off flavors that may arise.

Back