Should I put a thermometer in my Cooler MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
Just finishing my 5 gal cooler MLT. I went all out and built a copper manifold and rotating sparge arm (full pics, specs, and DIY info to come) but I was wondering, should/could I drill a hole and install a thermometer. I think it would be nice to be ale to check temp w/out opening the lid.

So I was going to... Drill hole at center of MLT. Insert thermometer stem. Seal with orings, etc. Bend stem down at 90 degrees.

With proper stirring when mashing in and consistant fly sparging can I assume I have no hot spots and trust my thermo readings?

Has anyone else done this on their cooler mlt? Results?

I think bending the stem of the thermometer will ruin it. I am not using a cooler for an MT, so I can't advise on the best approach for a thermometer installation, but it would be good to have one I would think.

I have a 3 gallon cooler for an MLT and there was a convenient vent hole with a rubber plug I removed and I use to insert my thermometer with a 12" stem. When I stir there is nothing on the side to knock into and putting a hole in the lid does not risk a leak. I would most definitely not bend your thermometer unless you hate it and want to buy a new one. The thermometer is reassuring but the more I brew and get to know my equipment the less I look at it.

Back