Should I pull out my dryhop bag before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
I've got a muslin bag in my carboy with 9 ounces of hops in it. I'll be racking to my bottling bucket for bottling tomorrow & was thinking about pulling the bag out tonight so it doesn't get in the way of my racking cane when I go to transfer. It's probably going to be a tight squeeze, but figured I'd see what everyone else's experiences are before attempting it. Pull it out or rack around it?

If you used whole hops I'm going to ask the obvious question here. How in the name of Zeus' butthole did you get 9 ounces of hops into the carboy to begin with? I would rack and then remove the bag if I were you.

God I hope you used pellets.

HawksBrewer said:
If you used whole hops I'm going to ask the obvious question here. How in the name of Zeus' butthole did you get 9 ounces of hops into the carboy to begin with? I would rack and then remove the bag if I were you.

Haha, yes...pellets were used. It wasn't easy getting pellets in there either (because I forgot to use my funnel), but I did it.

Haha, yes...pellets were used. It wasn't easy getting pellets in there either (because I forgot to use my funnel), but I did it.

The volume of the pellets are going to be 2-3 times what they were dry, so I don't thing you are going to be able to pull that bag out without a lot of effort so would just leave them until your beer is safely in the bottles.

Now I have to ask, how would a funnel make it easier to have gotten 9 ozs of hops in a bag into your carboy?

HAHA! it can be done! On my first brew I added 3oz of whole leaf hops in a muslin back to my secondary. I had asked a buddy of mine who has been brewing for 10 years, how I get them all in there. His response was, "hold the bag in the carboy and then start shoving them in...It's a lot like fingering sausage into a butthole" his descriptions usually leave you feeling visually molested.

but yeah, I would leave the bag in. you're going to have to cut that thing to get them all out

For me its impossible to get the bag out, too large for the hole (thats what she said!) I attach it to fishing line and pull it up almost out of the liquid...just so I can get my siphon in and not touching/sucking the bag

The volume of the pellets are going to be 2-3 times what they were dry, so I don't thing you are going to be able to pull that bag out without a lot of effort so would just leave them until your beer is safely in the bottles.

Now I have to ask, how would a funnel make it easier to have gotten 9 ozs of hops in a bag into your carboy?

Yeah, I thought about that. I don't think I would be able pull it out, but wanted to see if anyone has ever tried.
A funnel would have helped hold them above the carboy hole while I used my dewalt jackhammer to pound them in. Without the funnel, I could only use the lip of the muslin bag to keep the pellets in place prior to forcing those suckers in. I put the muslin bag in first, kept it open above the carboy, then poured the pellets in. After everything was in, I tied it, attached a fishing line & let it go.

9 ounces of dry hopping....holy hannah, that's bold.

I know! The entire recipe had 17 ounces of hops & I was SOO tempted to save some and go lighter on the dryhop, but since it's my first ever brew & it's a clone, I figured I'd go for it. I love Maharaja...

if you like maharaja, try St Arnold's Endeavor. similar, but i find it to be slightly more balanced. and it's blasted full of simcoe. how can you go wrong with simcoe!

Back