Quantcast

Should I pitch or wait?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Skyforger

Reaction score
Hey, all. I'm brewing a czech pilsner right now, and am a bit disappointed with my starter. It was made from an old vial of WLP800 Czech Pilsner yeast, and took a long time and some TLC to take off. Right now, I've got about a half gallon of pretty nasty starter solution (I had to keep it warm to get it going) and I don't really want to pitch that in the beer. There isn't a ton of yeast on the bottom yet, though. I'm thinking it may be better if I pitch the bottom yeast into a new starter today, and store the pilsner wort I'm making in a cold shed until the yeast is good and ready to go.

What does everyone else think? Are there disadvantages to storing your wort before pitching? It will be in a very cold shed; wouldn't be surprised if it froze a bit. So infection shouldn't be an issue. If I do this, I'll just take it out of the shed in a few days to warm to pitching temps and pitch a healthy starter. Or else I underpitch now.

What say you?

DrawTap88

Reaction score
If you're having doubts on your starter, you're much better off making another starter.

OP
Skyforger

Skyforger

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. I'm just kind of wondering if a few days of cold storage pre-ferement will do anything to the end product.

Jawbox0

Reaction score
Well, if nothing else, it will be a good test of your Sanitation methods.

merkinman

Reaction score
you may also consider a dry lager yeast. I have become a fan of Frementis 34/70. It is the Weihenstephaner strain.

OP
Skyforger

Skyforger

Reaction score
merkinman; its a good thought, but I'm not sure I could get that sooner than I could grow a yeast starter at this point. None of the LHBS's carry Fermentatis, so far as I know.

lumpher

Reaction score
i'm using fermentis 3470 in a lager i've just chilled tonight (put it in 52 or so). i think it might be a good yeast for that. but anyway, i wouldn't pitch it if it was kept warm

OP
Skyforger

Skyforger

Reaction score
I'm thinking I should get a packet of dry lager yeast to keep around for this sort of situation. I'll see if I can find that one. For this time, though, I already have a new starter going with the Urquell yeast. Now that it's been livened up a little I'll grow it at a proper temperature, so I don't have to wait for it to crash out completely.