Should I or shouldn't I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighoss

Reaction score
So I was talking with a guy at work about wanting to start home brewing, and how obsessed I am with wanting to learn everything I can. We chatted for a bit, and I told him about a few of the setups you guys have. Well when I told him bout the converted sanke kegs he told me he may have a couple somewhere in his garage. So I mentioned maybe buying both of them for a total of $50. Should I just hold off since I've not even started brewing yet? Or is this too good of a deal to pass up?

If you got the cash, get 'em.

If you don't end up using them you can probably sell them to one of us...

do it if you can, and if you really want to brew. many people start all-grain, and never touch partial or extract brewing. do you know someone who can help you convert them, or are you a diy'er?

I'm definitely a DIYer, but I'm limited by the tools I have. So I thought about using a hand held grinder with a cutting wheel to cut out the top. Although do you think I should cut it with a plasma cutter?

I think you should consider brewing beer - just jump in, the water's fine! Make a batch of extract with steeping grains this weekend. A good solid pale ale - in a month, you'll be enjoying your very own handmade beer!

I agree with Pappers, starting with a kit will help you with process and help you ease into it.
The kegs are a good deal if they are retired and legal.

Bull

do it if you can, and if you really want to brew. many people start all-grain, and never touch partial or extract brewing. do you know someone who can help you convert them, or are you a diy'er?

Id get the kegs! Great Deal! And just cause you have 15 gallon keg boiling pots, doesn't mean you need to do All grain... however if you have been "obsessed" already and haven't brewed, I do see AG very soon in your future :mug:

Definitely DO NOT get those kegs! Give me the guy's contact info and I will get rid of them for him. :)

But seriously, I would jump on that deal if I were you. Most people quickly out grow their pots and upgrade to converted sankes.

I didn't read your post....I scrolled to the bottom and replied OF COURSE YOU SHOULD!!!
now I will read what it is you should or shouldn't do.

Haha I will definitely get them then. I think I'll just progress from extract to partial then AG so I know what I'm doing when I get to that's point.

Whenever you find a good deal on kegs, or anything else that can be used for brewing, just get it. If you don't end up using or needing it, there will always be someone else that is. I have an unconverted keg now just because I got it for $10 and someday when I have more space, it will be my mash tun. Patience is a beautiful thing in many aspects.

So another guy was helping me out, and trying to help me find some kegs. He just texted me today, and said that we were a week late. I said for what, and he said for a keg. He said the guys nephew and son-in-law used it to site in their shotguns for deer season. I just couldn't believe what I was reading. Why would anyone in there right mind use a keg for target practice.

So all the sankes that I had located I'm not able to get my hands on. Which is kind of a bummer. I was really looking forward to using them for my brewing rig in the future. Well that idea is out for the moment. I started looking on CL and Ebay, and have found some. To my dismay all of them that I found on CL were all made into fuel cells. On Ebay I found a couple sellers. That bad part is they want $80 shipped. Is that too much for a sanke? Especially since I'll have to put work into it to make it usable for brewing?

Just be patient and keep scouring craigslist. I got both of mine for about $20-30 a piece. Especially if you are just getting started. Keep your eye on the prize, but go ahead and start getting your feet wet in the meantime.

So back again with some more updates on the keg search. Got another couple people at work that may have a keg. The one just has a keg, the other may have a keg and co2 tank. I may be able to get the one keg, and co2 tank for $75. I'm hoping this all doesn't fall through like the last ones did. I've got my fingers crossed, and would like for you all to cross your's as well. I really want to get this stuff.

Back