Should I keg or wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpjay2000

Reaction score
I am brand new to kegging (and still an amature homebrewer). I thought I was ready to keg my first beer today, but the regulator I have is unusable. So I ordered a new one from More Beer, but I'm sure it won't be here for a week. I put my carboy in my keezer (set to 38F) to cold crash it before I knew I couldn't keg.

My questions are:
What should I do with the beer?
Leave it in the keezer for a week in the carboy?
Keg it and leave the keg in the keezer without sugar or CO2?
Keg it with priming sugar and put it back to room temperature?

As soon as I get the regulator, I'm going to hook up the CO2 to 12 PSI and leave it alone.

Thanks in advance!

It's not going to hurt anything if you leave the beer in the fridge. That being said, if you rack to a keg and prime with sugar by the time you get your new regulator your beer will be carbonated!

Steelers77,

Thanks for the fast reply bro! So, would it be cool to take the carboy out of the keezer tomorrow, keg it with about 2.5 ounces of priming sugar, leave it at room temp and then just hook it up to serving pressure in about a week? I wouldn't mind opening up that carboy for another beer.

Mpjay

You think it would be ok to leave it in the keezer for a week or should I pull it out?

Thanks for the suggestions!
Mpjay

Leave it in the cold. No way are you going to get a keg carbed up in a week using priming sugar, and unless you try something that might crack that carboy (that's a hint, fwiw) you'll lose a day just warming the carboy back up to wake up the yeast.

It'll be fine where it is. Call it "conditioning" if it helps ;)

Cheers!

Back