Should I Keg it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an IPA (well more an amber PA) that I made 2 or 3 years ago. At that time I got hit by a slow pediococcus infection that hit several brews before I killed the bastard off. (contaminated bulk yeast from a ubrew)

One of those brews was this IPA which got stuck in a closet and forgotten about till recently. Me, being crazy and perhaps a tad buzzed decided to sample it. The sourness seems gone and there is a slight horsey flavor but actually ain't bad.

I think I'm going to siphon this into another carboy then potassium sorbate bomb it to kill whatever is still living in there. Then filter and Keg.

Whatcha think? (did I mention it has a 2" layer of solid bacterial crud on the floating on top?)

Photos forthcoming...

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
did I mention it has a 2" layer of solid bacterial crud on the floating on top?

Photos forthcoming...

OUCH!.... 2 - 3 years with an infection, wow, I really can't think of what that would taste like. I say do it! If your going to hang on to if for 2 years, at least take 20 minutes to keg it! Of course, do like you mentioned and try to kill the bacterial. I would sip at first to make sure you don't get sick. I want to see some photos of this for sure. Good luck!:mug:

dooit3ht.gif

Do It!

OK, will dig out the sorbate tomorrow and do this thang. Probably will want to filter this sucker too.

Now..for a beer name... Possibly "The horses ass aged amber"?

On a side note, I wish BCJP would make heavily hopped ambers their own style, instead of technically being classed as an IPA.

Yeah, I would do it if I thought I would drink it. Could brew a new batch and blend if needed.

My biggest feer with this is infecting my brew transfer area.

It's now in clean carboy with potassion sorbate and some sulfite. Can't remember how long you need to leave sorbate in there before it's killed $hite off.

I tasted a sample the other day and it seems like it wll be drinkable. We'll see. There was a boatload of hops if I can remember correctly and dryhopped as well. Probably some oxidation as the damn airlock ran dry. But the 2" thick layer of.. stuff.. might have held o2 at bay.

I'm tempted to flitler and kg this tonight. Just wondering about the sorbate. Not exactly a commonly used beer brewing substance. My first beer with preservitives! Even Budweiser would cringe. lol

Trying to remember what the original recipe was. Damn you brain.

Back