Should I keep in primary longer or bulk age in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marubozo

I can has homebrew?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious what the consensus is. I can't believe it's been a month already, but my winter warmer has been in the fermenter that long and I haven't even cracked the lid to peek on it yet. Anyway, it's a bigger beer at 1.076 and I know this won't be ready to drink until probably early December.

But, what would be the best course of action? Continue to leave it in the primary for a bit longer and then go right to bottles to age? Move it to a secondary for a month or two more before bottling and then let the bottles age another 3 months?

I'm just not sure if there are benefits for doing it one way or another. Any suggestions are welcome :mug:

Just curious what the consensus is. I can't believe it's been a month already, but my winter warmer has been in the fermenter that long and I haven't even cracked the lid to peek on it yet. Anyway, it's a bigger beer at 1.076 and I know this won't be ready to drink until probably early December.

But, what would be the best course of action? Continue to leave it in the primary for a bit longer and then go right to bottles to age? Move it to a secondary for a month or two more before bottling and then let the bottles age another 3 months?

I'm just not sure if there are benefits for doing it one way or another. Any suggestions are welcome :mug:

I'd probably use a secondary and let it sit until about the end of September and then bottle it. That way, you can age it a bit, but still give it plenty of time to carb up before winter.

Back