Should I have filtered after mashing? + noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastInfection

Reaction score
So, I'm doing my very first brew (a hefeweizen) using the brew in a bag method. I think it's all gone relatively well for a first attempt, non-kit. The yeast is yeasting. But, now that I'm in the fermentation stage, I wonder if I was supposed to have filtered the grain sediment out of the mash before the boil, or the wort before cooling it. I know that it is normal to have sediment at this stage, but I'm just wondering if I was supposed to have filtered it out beforehand, or if doing so is bad. It's not really a crazy amount of sediment compared to brewing videos that I've seen. I also know that it will settle to the bottom and can just be avoided when siphoning, but I'm mostly axing if leaving the sediment there during fermentation will affect the flavour.
48 hour ferment 2.jpg
48 hour ferment.jpg

Also, more questions. It's 5 gallons, and I did it on a regular stovetop. It was definitely boiling, but perhaps not as vicious of a boil as I've seen in the tutorial videos. What effect might a lower boil have on the final result? Also, what actually is the point of boiling the wort, aside from adding hops/zest? Also, these pictures are from about 48 hours into the fermentation process. Is the 1cm of foam on top an indication that the beer will be weak? Normally it seems like people's carboys have much more foam.

Thanks for answering any of my noob questions.

Last edited:
you can try whirlpooling, basically stir your wort at the end of the boil while cooling. it will create a cone of debris away from the sides of the pot. that way you pick up less trub or cold break.
as long as you have a rolling boil you will be fine, the wort doesnt need to be leaping out of the pot.
boiling removes DMS from the wort. that cooked corn smell and it sanitizes/pasteurizes the wort.
the foam(Krausen) doesnt really indicate how weak or strong your beer will be.
did you take hydrometer reading at the end of the boil?
wait 10 days and take another hydrometer then 2 more times a day later, if it hasnt changed then you can bottle.
as long as its close to your expected gravity.
there are alot more details to my answers, but giving you short answers.
cheers

It's common to have more sediment (cloudier wort) in the boil with BIAB than with a method that employs a vorlauf or recirculation. Whether it makes a difference in finished product is debatable. There is some evidence the added proteins in a cloudy wort are good for yeast health. Some say the sediment and cloudy wort shortens shelf life.

In addition to whirlpooling, you can filter the beer going with a sanitized fine mesh strainer to limit hops and other sediment in the fermenter. But having trub in the fermenter is not likely to affect the flavor as long as you don't leave the beer in it for several weeks.

Your beer will be fine.

That happens with BIAB if you crush too finely and/or you use a lot of huskless grain--like wheat. With a large volume of huskless grain you have less filter in the grist so more grain bits get through. The remedy for that is to crush a little less fine and/or add rice hulls.

It’s a hefe, it’s style is cloudy. If you change your crush you also change your efficiency. Depending on the bag you use indeed more or fewer particles will end up in your fermentor. Either way, should (Mostly for hefe) settle out Before packaging. What you are seeing now includes the yeast, it looks fine to me, btw, welcome to the forum.

After I cool my wort, I whirlpool some and then use an auto siphon to transfer to the fermenter from the side of the boil kettle. I also though put one of these Colanders on top of the fermenter and run the wort through this as it is going into the fermenter. Of course, I sanitize the colander before I use it. This removes a lot of the sediment from the fermenter and works well for me.

The nice thing about this strainer is that it fits on top of the fermenter with the side extension arms which then leaves both of my hands free to use the auto siphon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWR8N5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back