Should i have covered primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I just thought of this (after 4 days...), but should I have covered my primary with a blanket or something to keep the light out? It's one of those white brew kit buckets.

The buckets are nearly opaque, but they do let in just a little light. I'm sure you are fine, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to put it in a closet or cover it with a blanket.

We're not talking about undeveloped camera film or anything, beer is not THAT sensitive, but you definitely want to limit exposure as much as you easily can. Don't go building a dark room or anything, but a blanket wouldn't be a bad idea.

I just thought of this (after 4 days...), but should I have covered my primary with a blanket or something to keep the light out? It's one of those white brew kit buckets.

Yes. I've seen people cover them with blankets, tin foil, etc. I put mine in a closet personally.

You can just cover it with a dark tee shirt to keep it from skunking from UV rays. My Dog chewed up my black velvet smoking jacket,so I started using that. It acctually helped keep the ferment temp quite steady. I'm thinking maybe have the wife get some black velvet or velvetine to make a FV cozy out of. Something that fits better might even work better.

Thx guys, I put a shirt over it per your advice. I've seen a lot of discussion on not going to a secondary but I'm going to for a couple of reasons. One being its my first brew and I want to follow the instructions and second it calls for dry hopping. I think my next brew I'll do something I don't need to dry hop and keep it in the primary the entire time.

Since the secondary will be the glass Carboy, I'll be sure to keep in away from light.

Here's another newbie question, the yeast I used calls for fermentation temps of 64-72 degrees, but since fermentation should have stopped by the time it goes to the secondary, would it be ok if the temp drops a few degrees? Say if I put it in a closet...

Yeah,those temps are mainly for initial fermentation. And you can safely dry hop in primary. Many of us do. Just let the beer hit FG & clean up/settle out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping.

Back