Should I have 6 or 6.5 gallon glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW Brewer

Reaction score
I want to start primary fermenting in a glass carboy and only have one five gallon glass carboy. I would like to ferment without using a blowoff hose (my wife would lose it), so I would like room for the fermentation to complete without blowing an airlock off the top. Anyone have any thoughts?

Greg

Even with a 6.5, there is no guarantee you won't need a blowoff tube at some point. And a blow-off setup is a whole lot prettier than a floor/walls full of krausen. I started with a 6 gal and moved up to a 6.5 when I started making wine. Now I just use the 6.5, just because its more versatile.

GoBrewers said:
Even with a 6.5, there is no guarantee you won't need a blowoff tube at some point. And a blow-off setup is a whole lot prettier than a floor/walls full of krausen. I started with a 6 gal and moved up to a 6.5 when I started making wine. Now I just use the 6.5, just because its more versatile.
LoL, i answered a little too quickly...didn't even read the whole question.

above is true, too. if brewing a hefe or any beer over...uh, say 1.050 OG, i would use a blowoff tube, especially if using a starter.

blow-off tubes are easy, too. might as well!

SW Brewer said:
I want to start primary fermenting in a glass carboy and only have one five gallon glass carboy. I would like to ferment without using a blowoff hose (my wife would lose it), so I would like room for the fermentation to complete without blowing an airlock off the top. Anyone have any thoughts?

Greg
Whats so bad about a blowoff hose? Now having a top blow off is going to upset the wife.
I've had several beers blowoff (through a hose) using a 6.5gal bucket, so I would not trust a 6.5 gal carboy to stay clean. You maybe able to get by with a 7.9gal bucket fermenter if you avoid really big beers and hefes.
Craig

My wife is already a bit leery about my "disreputable" hobby, and I dont want to push my luck. I will get a hose and use it if necessary, but only then :)

Greg

Back