Should I harvest now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
I've got some first year hops that are flowering. They seem a bit on the smaller side. Maybe the size of a nickle or or so. The Arizona sun did beat them up a little bit, but I'm wondering if I should harvest them now or give them a bit more time. They feel like they've got a bit of spring left in them still and don't stay flat when I squeeze them. When I look into the petals I see a bright yellow patch in there. What do you guys think?

IMG_20130723_191331.jpg

Size isn't everything, it depends on the variety. My Hallertau normally end up a sphere about the size of a nickel when ripe, but Nugget will get almost as big as your thumb.
Sacrifice one of them but picking it and cutting it open. You want as much of the yellow dust (pollen) as possible, and it should be a darker yellow, not bright. It starts out bright and as they reach maturity it begins to darken.
If other comments are accurate, most new growers pick too early so I'd give them a little while. If they all start browning then call it done. Use this year as a learning tool, you normally don't get much in 1st year harvest so consider it a bonus.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I pulled one off and broke it open. It's still pretty bright yellow so I imagine it still has some maturing to do. I made a little hop tea out of it to test it out. Has a great smell to it, and was pretty bitter in a quarter cup of hot water.

Back