Should I ferment under pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movet22

Reaction score
So I have been kicking around the idea of a better way to primary recently. I am through with glass and like buckets, but don't love their (or plastic in general's) potentially short lifespan.

My criteria for a new breed of primary were (1) minimalize oxygen worries (2) ease to clean (3) cost. These were all met by corny kegs, of which I have 2-3 to spare at any given time, and can always acquire more of (and more easily justify the purchase because of their multi-use).

My question becomes one of pressurized fermentation. Should I do it? I certainly have the means, but after reading 80% of the incredibly long thread on it on here, I can't really identify any pros v. cons to weigh against each other.

I did see that the beer 'naturally carbonates,' which sounds swell in a forum, but how viable is said carbonation? is it enough that I could bottle straight from the keg and not have to use priming sugar?

Should I just attach 1/2'' tubing to blowoff and ferment as usual, sans pressure?

Thanks for all help guys!

There's a whole process behind letting the yeast carbonate the beer during the end of primary fermentation. You can do it right and indeed end up with nicely carbed beer, or do it wrong and end up with either flat beer or a blown-up pressure vessel.

It pretty much comes down to timing and the correct equipment. If you search the site for "spunding valve" you'll hit some of the pertinent threads, and if you scan the bottom of their first pages you'll likely see even more related threads...

Cheers!

Yeah, I saw most of the major threads about spunding valves, and I would have no problem picking one up (/making one) if I decided to go that route.

So is this natural carbonation the only real draw for homebrewers to ferment under pressure?

Back