Should I ferment my schwarzbier for 2 or 3 weeks before lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

Reaction score
I broke my hydrometer so I don't know exactly what my OG was, but it should be around 1.050 with my recipe and usual efficiency. It's been almost 2 weeks since pitching the yeast, and fermentation looks to be about over. I get maybe one bubble every couple of minutes. It should be completely done bubbling in a few days.

I know waiting longer never hurts, but considering I'm lagering this thing for 4 weeks (at least), the sooner it's done, the better. What do you think?

If it's not done, let it finish. I'd let it sit on the yeast another week or so after it finishes to settle and metabolize diacetyl and acetaldehyde, then rack and lager. It won't be ready any sooner if you stick it in the fridge with a whole bunch of intermediate fermentation compounds. I like my schwarzbier sans buttered apples.;)

I broke my hydrometer so I don't know exactly what my OG was, but it should be around 1.050 with my recipe and usual efficiency. It's been almost 2 weeks since pitching the yeast, and fermentation looks to be about over. I get maybe one bubble every couple of minutes. It should be completely done bubbling in a few days.

I know waiting longer never hurts, but considering I'm lagering this thing for 4 weeks (at least), the sooner it's done, the better. What do you think?

Yeast used and brewing temperature?

If it's not done, let it finish. I'd let it sit on the yeast another week or so after it finishes to settle and metabolize diacetyl and acetaldehyde, then rack and lager. It won't be ready any sooner if you stick it in the fridge with a whole bunch of intermediate fermentation compounds. I like my schwarzbier sans buttered apples.;)

He's got it! Leave it for a month, then lager it.

Back