Should I dump my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emanresu_

Reaction score
Beginner here, and made my first all grain brew, and when I was adding the yeast nutrient, I misread the instructions and thought it said 5 tablespoons, instead of teaspoons. I like an idiot added 5 tablespoons of yeast nutrient. I tried to remove it off the wort before it disappeared but it was too late. Should I dump it and start all over?

It may depend on the size of your batch... But in almost all situations you're going to be fine. Let it ride and don't dump anything until you have it finished fermenting, carbed up and cold. If it tastes awful then you can dump (or age it a while to see if it improves in time).

In my experience, I've never used yeast nutrients, especially in all grain brewing... You can probably safely skip this step next time... The most important ingredient every beer needs is patience there is no substitute for that.

Which specific nutrient was it?

I never used a nutrient in beer, in Germany it's not allowed for the pros (I'm no Pro). Just skip it next time.

Beginner here, and made my first all grain brew, and when I was adding the yeast nutrient, I misread the instructions and thought it said 5 tablespoons, instead of teaspoons. I like an idiot added 5 tablespoons of yeast nutrient. I tried to remove it off the wort before it disappeared but it was too late. Should I dump it and start all over?
Never dump a beer until you are certain that is cannot be salvaged. Most errors will not cause that to happen. Let the beer ferment, bottle it, let it age a bit (minimum of 3 weeks at room temp), then sample it to see if it is fit to drink.

I'd actually try the green beer and see if I could taste the nutrient, but as a newbie, it's going to be hard to say as there's not much experience in tasting green beer.

I always use a half teaspoon of Wyeast Yeast Nutrient at the end of boil for 5.5 gallon batch. It seems to help fermentation take off faster than not using it, but beer I've made without it has turned out fine as well.
Let the beer finish and see how it comes out. It will likely be fine.

Were you using dry yeast or fresh liquid yeast? If so, I wouldn't even think about yeast nutrient. Don't complicate your brew day.

As others have said, don't dump it till you know it's bad beer. And usually knowing doesn't happen until after it's carbonated and you taste it after bottling or kegging.

Last edited:
Back