Should I dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a batch of cider going on August 10th. It was throwing a lot of sulphur throughout primary and I didn't act fast enough to try 'splash racking' and didn't know about adding nutrients during fermentation.

I just racked it to secondary about 3 days ago and the smell was faint but still noticeable. I bottled 10, 12oz bottles to not waste it and just popped the top on one to 'check carb level' (I was impatient) and it has a pretty strong sulphur smell and taste.

After reading multiple threads about sulphur in ciders I'm beginning to think I have H2S. If I do, in fact have H2S, is there any saving it or should I just dump the carboy out and try again?

Thanks for any and all help. Cheers!

I'd pour it all back into a glass carboy and leave it sit in a cool spot for 6 weeks.
The carbonation will likely drive out the H2S and over time it will gas off and dissipate.

I've had the same issue and ended up dumping it. You can try Farside suggests above and hope for the best.

Quick update:

I decided to check the carb level of another one of these bottles because I tried individually priming each bottle for the first time and was curious how well it worked. I reluctantly threw a bottle in the fridge for a couple days, popped it, poured it (excellent carb level. next time I'll use just a touch more sugar though) and to my surprise the sulphur has vanished!

I had every intention of opening it to check the carb level and pour it down the drain but I can't detect any by smell or taste! My plan is to keg the remaining 5 gallons and hook the CO2 to the liquid post, percolate and vent CO2 through the Cider and hope to flush out whatever Sulphur is in there. Cheers!

I made a smoked porter from malt I smoked myself and it was so over TBD top smokey I was convinced it was ruined and on a whim I stowed it out at camp and forgot about it.

A year and a half later I'm out at camp digging around under the trailer and I find these bottles and inside was the best damn smoked porter I have ever tasted.

I did a cream of three crops with only Amarillo hops. Was NOT to my liking but, I don't dump beer. I'd pull one of these out once in a while and drink it. I had three gallons of it.

About three months later it changed. It was smoother and lost enough of the bite to be really enjoyable. I liked it so much I just did a blonde ale with nothing but Amarillo.

Last beer I dumped was in 1997. It was infected with something that wasn't tasty.

As a rule, I never dump a batch. If it's not so great, I bottle it and stash it for hard times. Usually it's a lot better after a few months of neglect. Don't have to worry about this so much anymore after I got past my "experiment with the recipe" phase.

Back