Should I dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dayrew

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered on here before but I've been combing though old threads and couldn't find anything.
Total newbie and I've got a small problem. I'm brewing an American Amber extract kit from Nothern Brewers and I just moved my batch into the secondary fermentor and took a FG reading and figured out my ABV , it's pretty low 1.7%. My OG was 1.024 ( should have been higher 1.047) and my FG was 1.011. I think my math was right but maybe not. Anyone out there have any idea how I might be able to save this by boosting the ABV a little. Or do I have an almost Non- Alcoholic beer on my hands? It sat in the primary for just over 2 weeks

sometimes when mixing up an extract batch the mixture may not be quite even and you can get a sample that had less extract in it. It's almost impossible to miss your og doing an extract batch. I would NOT dump it. leave it in primary for four weeks then bottle.

We get this question 3-4 times every day, so you're not alone. And in reality, nothing's wrong.

It's a pretty common issue for ANYONE topping off with water in the fermenter (and that includes partial mashes, extract or all grain revcipes) to have an error in reading the OG...In fact, it is actually nearly impossible to mix the wort and the top off water in a way to get an accurate OG reading...

Brewers get a low reading if they get more of the top off water than the wort, conversely they get a higher number if they grabbed more of the extract than the top off water in their sample.

When I am doing an extract with grain recipe I make sure to stir for a minimum of 5 minutes (whipping up a froth to aerate as well) before I draw a grav sample and pitch my yeast....It really is an effort to integrate the wort with the top off water...This is a fairly common new brewer issue we get on here...unless you under or over topped off or the final volume for the kit was 5 gallons and you topped off to 5.5, then the issue, sorry to say, is "operator error"

More than likely your true OG is really what it's supposed to be. And it will mix itself fine during fermentation.

And just use the number it says in the instructions as the true OG, because it will be.

Did you add all the fermentables? Or maybe topped off with too much water? Or,at the least,did you shake/stir like mad after adding the top off water to mix it & the wort well? Many times,the latter is the culprit. But being that far under makes me think you may at least not read the hydrometer right. Or something's missing.

Thanks for all the quick answers guy. I think it might have been a combination of both adding too much water and not mixing it up enough before I pitched it. Live and learn I guess. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way for a newbie to mix it after I add the water? I just sloshed it back and forth in the fermentor

they make attachments for drills which is probably the best way to do it. shaking is really the only other way I can think of.

Some guys go crazy with a paint stirrer, personally I just rock the fermenter some to help aerate and call it good, not even bothering to take an OG with extract recipes.

If you added the right amount of water and the fermentables that you were supposed to add then you will get your OG every time with an extract kit.

Really no reason to check OG for extract brews, as long as you add all of the ingredients and measure your water accurately.

RDWHAHB!

I pour the wort & top off water vigorously into the FV. Then stir with my paddle roughly for 5 minutes straight. Then take my OG & pitch.

Back