Should I collect yeast to repitch when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
I brewed a Double IPA that has been in primary for one week. It is currently about 10% abv (OG = 1104; FG = 1028) and was wondering:

1) Should I collect any yeast to repitch before bottling? I plan to transfer to a secondary to dry hop and age with oak for roughly 4 weeks before bottling. If yes:

2) Should I collect the yeast from primary or from secondary?

My concern is the amount of viable yeast left in suspension to convert the priming sugar for carbonation.

I brewed a Double IPA that has been in primary for one week. It is currently about 10% abv (OG = 1104; FG = 1028) and was wondering:

1) Should I collect any yeast to repitch before bottling? I plan to transfer to a secondary to dry hop and age with oak for roughly 4 weeks before bottling. If yes:

2) Should I collect the yeast from primary or from secondary?

My concern is the amount of viable yeast left in suspension to convert the priming sugar for carbonation.

In my experience, the secondary has the best/most viable yeast. You can take from primary if you want, but there will be LOTS of trub/sediment in there. I say harvest secondary and this may be useful: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

In my experience, the secondary has the best/most viable yeast. You can take from primary if you want, but there will be LOTS of trub/sediment in there. I say harvest secondary and this may be useful: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

In my experience, just the opposite is true. Sure, the yeast is "cleaner" looking in secondary, but it's the least flocculant and most stressed yeast of the batch. It's also been sitting with alcohol on it for a while.

If you're washing yeast, take the yeast out of the primary.

If you're just repitching some yeast to ensure good carbonation, 1/4 package of dry yeast would work just fine. You can boil up the priming solution, cool it and add it to the bottling bucket. Then, stir in the dry yeast. After it's dissolved, you can rack the beer into it. That works great, and that's what I do for lagers.

Back