Should I buy another yeast packet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
Getting ready for a brew day on Thursday. Wanted to see what my yeast starter was going to be using Homebrew Dad's calculator. Just looked at my WLP029 and saw it was packaged on 2/24/16 and is best by 8/22/16. Typed this in the calculator and got 30% viability. If I make a 1 liter starter, I can get the right amount of cells per the calculator.

Just to check this I used Mr Malty and that says 10% viability and I really couldn't make a starter with just this packet.

Should I get another packet or should I go with Homebrew Dad's starter calculation with a 1 liter starter and 100 grams of DME?

I usually check HB Dad and MR Malty as well but usually settle on HB Dads calcs. To me Mr Malty seems like it errs on the side of larger starters. Do you have the ability to make a larger starter? If so, go with a 1.5L starter or do a 1L starter and step it. What yeast are you using and what is your predicted OG of your batch?

Also, with only 2 days left I would get that starter started now (if you plan on cold crashing)

I can do a 1.5L starter but Homebrew Dad doesn't recommend it because the inoculation rate drops below 25 (not really sure how important this is).

WLP029 with 1.045 and 5.5 gallon batch.

Planning on making it tonight and cold crashing tomorrow night.

1.045 isnt a huge beer, I would just go with a 1L starter and you should be fine. Yeastcalculator.com has you sitting right at about 30% viability as well so that 1L starter should be enough to wake them up and produce more yeast. Is it in a pure pitch packet? Those packets are supposed to extend the life of the yeast a lot longer since they arent under pressure the whole time.

Back