Should I buy a co2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting ready to order everything from kegconnection (calling in my order tomorrow) and I've got a question for you guys....

Do you think I should buy a new co2 tank from them?

I haven't called around to price it out locally so I've got no idea what is available but I'd hate to buy a new shiny tank to swap it for a filled, used tank.

So, what are your thoughts? Rent or own?

Thanks!

I'm new to kegging and purchased a 20lb tank from Micromatic a couple of weeks ago. The welding shop I took it to for a fill evidently work mostly with exchanges and assumed that's what I had asked for. When I went out to the truck and got it out, a couple of them came out and looked at it like they had never seen a new tank before.

"Oh, you own your tank?"

"Yes. Is that a problem?"

"No, no... I don't want to turn on my system for just one tank though. Wastes too much CO2."

So..... I had to leave it with them for a few hours until they started up their afternoon fill. I'll plan better though next time. Anyway, it was crazy cheap, I thought. 20lbs for $13. It was a longggg time ago that I got a price on a tank exchange with them. I want to say it was about $85 for a 20lb tank initially, so not much less than buying new. I don't know that there's really any advantage to owning except that it's nice and clean (and not heavy steel). :D

First choice: Craigslist. I see them all of the time
2nd: Call your local welding supply. CO2 is a very common gas. No shipping.
Get a 20 pounder. The last forever and are much more common that the 5 lb bottles. The cost of swapping in my area is really close between the 5 and 20. The 20 is a better value.
Don't pay to have one shipped. They are heavy and shipping will eat up any saving in price.

First choice: Craigslist. I see them all of the time
2nd: Call your local welding supply. CO2 is a very common gas. No shipping.
Get a 20 pounder. The last forever and are much more common that the 5 lb bottles. The cost of swapping in my area is really close between the 5 and 20. The 20 is a better value.
Don't pay to have one shipped. They are heavy and shipping will eat up any saving in price.

one more choice check out your local fire extinguisher service for tanks and fills. mine does a 20#fill for .80/# they also sell tanks extremely cheap like 10# for 35 bones:rockin:

I did buy my own 5# tank, and they fill it for me 50 miles away. Otherwise, the local places do exchanges. I think that eventually it will be cheaper for me (the exchange is $17, the fill is $5 plus tax) but it retrospect I should have just bought the exchange tank. The upfront cost was about the same, and it would be easier to just exchange the empty.

If I had room for a bigger tank, I'd definitely go for the exhange. That will also save money on the eventual hydro test. My tank sure is nice and shiny, though!

I bought my tank new but didn't thoroughly seek out a place in town that filled them. Most just exchanged, and there's a liquor super store very close to home that exchanges for about $12 for 5# tanks. The only place in town that fills charges about $20 for 5# and has limited operating hours. Before buying a shiny new tank, call around to see who fills them and for how much. It might not be worth it.

Yeah, I'd love a 20lber but I'm limited to a 5 bc I'm doing the Sanyo conversion and it HAS to be inside (otherwise SWMBO wouldn't be happy).

I've checked craigslist for years and I've decided that the people of Corpus Christi just don't know what it is/how to use it....there is NEVER anything cool on there...

I'll call around today while I'm at work and see what I come up with

Thanks for your ideas/help guys! Keep it coming!

Contact Airgas. I know they operate in Corpus Christi. They'll set you up with an exchangeable tank. The initial outlay will be more because you are paying for the tank itself. After that though...you just take in the empty and they charge you for the exchange only. Kind of like the propane setups you see at grocery stores now.

Call them first. 5#'rs aren't always in stock.

Contact Airgas. I know they operate in Corpus Christi. They'll set you up with an exchangeable tank. The initial outlay will be more because you are paying for the tank itself. After that though...you just take in the empty and they charge you for the exchange only. Kind of like the propane setups you see at grocery stores now.

Call them first. 5#'rs aren't always in stock.

Will do.

This seems like it'll be the easiest/most hassel free way to do it. Just walk in and exchange instead of waiting to get filled or worry about swaping away my new shiny tank

Here's the quote I got from Airgas:

$80 to buy a tank $10 initial fill, back up to $20 to swap

and a local fire equipment place:

Ac fire equipment
$1.50 per # to fill, so $7.5 to fill

It's $60 for a tank from kegconnection so RIGHT NOW it's looking like buying their tank and filling it at the fire place is the cheapest....still calling around.

Any more suggestions on who/where to call? I called a welding place right next to our house and they don't fill co2 tanks...

THANKS!!

post a "Want to Buy" ad on Craigslist. I got 3 responses in the first 24 hours and ended up finding a 75lb full tank for $45. Then did some calling around and found a welding supply place that just swapped me out 2 full 10lb tanks in exchange for the larger one.

I didn't see any ads either, but apparently people had tanks sitting around and while they never thought to post them on CL they did see my want ad and responded.

Good luck.

Oh snap! I think I just found my tank!

I called around and found a liquor store that sells filled 5lb tanks for $21.64! He said you could either come back in and swap it for another $21.64 or get it filled at a welding place! I found a fire equipment place that fills for $1.50 a lb so $7.50 a fill! SWEET!

Oh and I posted on CL stever...thanks for the idea!

dang, thats pretty damn cheap, I would get one or two before they realize their error!

nice find.

Went to a welding supply store today. Picked up a 10# tank, filled, for $100.00. Refill/exchange is about $20.

The place is less than a mile from my house. I could pedal the empty back on my beach cruiser for a refill if necessary.

Getting a good price on a tank fill/swap involves quite a bit of research.

My LHBS wanted $18 for a swap.
Airgas about the same for a fill.
Called a fire extinguisher company and paid $10 for a fill-up.

Well, not the deal of a century but I ended up scoring a 20lber for $75 and a $20 fill. Pretty good though bc AirGas was wanting to sell me a 5lber for $80 with an initial fill of $10 and $20 after that.

Now I've just got to figure out how to get the CO2 lines in the Sanyo while the tank is mounted outside....

If you are close to Long Island I can get you a possibly free 10 or 20lb tank. May even be partially full and include regulator. PM for details.

Back