Should I brew this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygar

Reaction score
I currently am bottling conditioning two 1 gallon batches in my fermentation chamber at 70F because my ambient is 76F. One batch is into the second week, while the other has been a couple of days.

I just received an Jim Palmer extract Kolsch kit from morebeer. On their web page it states fermentation range of 64-72F … so I thought it would be fine to ferment this batch in the fridge that also houses my bottles undergoing conditioning. Low and behold the instructions say to ferment this kolsch at 54-59F. Going to fermentis site, it indeeds states that Saflager W-34/70 should be fermented at 53-59F :(

I was really looking forward to brewing this batch this weekend. I did a search and brulospohy did a little test showing minor differences between temps off 50 and 70F using this yeast.

So I have the following options:
1. Just wait until my bottling conditioning is done … then brew this batch.
2. Keep the bottles in the fridge and lower the temp for fementing the kolsch @55F (don't think this would be good at all)
3. Move the bottles to ambient temp @ 76F and ferment the Kolsch in fridge
4. Try fermenting the kolsch @70F

Which would you do?

I would just move the bottles to ambient and keep that ferm chamber busy! Unfortunately mine is serving as a folding table in our laundry room more than anything else lately :(

I would move the bottles into your house/ambient temperature environment. Maybe find a dark corner/closet on the north side of your living space because it might be a little cooler. And I ferment my Kölsch at 60f. 34/70 has a huge range. Check out Brülosophys website to see how they ferment 34/70 all day at 66f for quick turn around lagers.

I would move the bottles into your house/ambient temperature environment. Maybe find a dark corner/closet on the north side of your living space because it might be a little cooler. And I ferment my Kölsch at 60f. 34/70 has a huge range. Check out Brülosophys website to see how they ferment 34/70 all day at 66f for quick turn around lagers.
I will check them out. Thanks!

Back